Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/02 19:02:55 UTC

New to this group.

Hi,

I am new to this group and hadoop.
Please help me to learn hadoop and suggest some self study project .

Thanks
Krish Donald

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.
So if I could propose something

If this is your desire, I would recommend something like a
»adminstration handbook for the "hadoop world"«.

I'm hoping that I'm not stepping on someones toes, but the documentation
for running clusters of different hadoop related systems of the
ecosystem could be better. As an example: Some parts of the hadoop
ecosystem highly depend on name resolution, thus it is very important to
know what you are doing with dns vs. /etc/hosts (dammit ubuntu for
127.0.1.1!!! *waving fist at canonical*) etc., but problems with name
resolution are not well covered in the documentation but just mentioned.
Another example would be the running of independent zoekeeper clusters
and integrating them into systems is not well covered. I'm always using
standard ports and hope for the best :/. All this "real world" stuff.

So a "cookbook" starting from zero to fancy cluster with hdfs, yarn,
hbase, storm, pig and phoenix (which should cover 95% of all users)
which cover not only the hadoop stuff but the other "administration"
concerns (dns, kerberos, rsync, firewall [bsds pf, linux' iptables])
would be great.

Furthermore hadoop clusters can be tweaked and the performance can be
improved drastically by good adminstration. If you would use example
applications (like "twitbase" from the book "hbase in action" which is
basically a twitter clone, or the weather data set stuff from "hadoop
def. guide") and tweak the cluster to top performance, so others could
look at the example applications and could use them as "schemes" for
their own purpose and could tweak the cluster accordingly, would be very
good. As there are a lot of examples out there, this would be a great
help for people trying to adjust their cluster, as there would be a
starting point for similar examples.

This is in the "adminstration sphere" as you wish, new users could
benefit, it makes cluster set-up painless which would help to improve
the acceptance for the hadoop ecosystem, as you are a nice guy ;) and
use a good licence the official documentation would benefit, and this
would be something great for a resumee.

Best wishes and looking forward to »Krishs hadoop cookbook« ;)

Wilm

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Chris MacKenzie <st...@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk>.
Hi Krish,

I completed an MSc project using Hadoop this summer from installation
through to programming with the Java Api and then tuning. In all I did about
14 weeks solid with limited unix, server experience and an academic
knowledge of Java skills from my Masters course. I got an A ;O)

Along the way I installed Eclipse, got Hadoop to work with it and built a
genetic sequence alignment tool. It was hard work but I had a blast. I ran
it on a 32 node cluster and got some good speedups.

I¹m also interested in developing my skills further and this BigPetStore
application seems like a good way to go. Following my course I¹m a trainee
db admin for a global investment manager using Sybase.

If you want to work on a collaborative project, I am sure I could share my
Java skills and knowledge this far if you were happy to share your knowledge
too.

Why not connect on Linked In ;O)

Regards,

Chris MacKenzie
telephone: 0131 332 6967
email: studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
<http://www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk/>
<http://plus.google.com/+ChrismackenziephotographyCoUk/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismackenziephotography/>

From:  Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>
Date:  Friday, 2 January 2015 19:43
To:  <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: New to this group.

Re: New to this group.

From:  Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>
Date:  Friday, 2 January 2015 19:43
To:  <us...@hadoop.apache.org>

Re: New to this group.

From:  Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>
Date:  Friday, 2 January 2015 19:43
To:  <us...@hadoop.apache.org>

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.
I am in SFO bay area.
Wont be able to relocate .
So looking something in bay area only and very much interested in working
as Hadoop admin.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.
I am in SFO bay area.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.
I am in SFO bay area.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.
I am in SFO bay area.

Re: New to this group.

Re: New to this group.

Re: New to this group.

Re: New to this group.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

From:  Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>
Date:  Friday, 2 January 2015 19:43
To:  <us...@hadoop.apache.org>

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Krish Donald <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Wilm Schumacher <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Books

There're several sub-projects: hdfs, mapreduce, YARN ...
Which one(s) are you interested in ?

Cheers

Re: New to this group.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.