Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2002/09/09 22:47:04 UTC

Unresponsive sole committer

Posed (somewhat) purely hypothetically, and without mentioning names:

If a  Commons proper project only has a single committer, and that person
essentially goes missing (as in not responding to e-Mail or posting to the
mailing list or processing bugs) for a month or more, how could someone who
has things they want to contribute to the package do so?

James

Re: Unresponsive sole committer

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.
Hypothetically, if they are already a committer to commons, the person could
add themselves to STATUS.html as a commiter to the subproject. There's
precedent for this in voting, during one of the flamefests in the last year.
I think consensus was that it was obnoxious, but allowed under the rules, and
changing the rules was unlikely to happen. Particularly since there isn't any
way to avoid it with CVS. Recourse in the event of a non-sane commiter would
have to be to the PMC.

On the other, contingent, hand, if the person is not a committer to commons,
they would have to convince some current committer to take the aforementioned
steps.

Overall, though, one month in the summer isn't necessarily cause for concern,
yet. Particularly if you already have your bug fix in hand. Only one
committer listed is a bit more worrisome. That does indicates a subviable
community.