Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/29 21:45:13 UTC

Statistic data per single country

Hello,
Is it possible to make some video tutorial how to get statistic  data about
AOO (downloads AOO per country)? For download statistic for Serbian, from
begining (from 2012-05-07) and end day is 2014-05-07 .
Regards,
Wlada

Re: Statistic data per single country

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,

>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Vladislav Stevanovic
>> <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Tom, thanks for tips. Just one question: When set up is like in this link
>> > below (just "Home", not particular version), what exactly is counted?
>> >
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline
>> >  Downloads for all version of AOO with language packages or just
>> downloads
>> > for all verison of AOO but just instalation files?
>>
>> Everything in that directory:  /files
>>
>> So to get all the Serbian versions you would need to look here:
>>

>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.1/binaries/sr/stats/timeline
>

> It seems not to be OK for all countries, ie Belgium (be) Switzerland (ch)

It is looking at the language codes for the localized versions of AOO.
It is not looking at country of download.   But we do track that on
another page:

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html

That data was last updated in April.   It uses this Python script:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/downloads-by-country.py

-Rob

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Vladislav Stevanovic wrote:
> I am lookin data of downloads AOO 4.1.1 binaries, serbian package. There is
> something strange. The most downloads is from Spain (1775) and second
> country is Serbia with 921 downloads!

Looks like a transitory problem related to the fact that localized
download pages were wrong just after we released 4.1.1; so before this
fix
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/es/descargar/msg_prop_l10n_es.js?r1=1619578&r2=1619577&pathrev=1619578
it may have happened that people downloading from the Spanish site had a
non-working select drop-down for language. So a small fraction of them
(1775 is small for Spanish, even if it's big for Serbian) may have
downloaded the wrong version (Serbian) instead of Spanish. If you
restrict counters to the last week, do you still see the issue?

I fixed the issue for all published languages last week, but if you
still see it somewhere just apply a patch similar to the one above.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Statistic data per single country

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I am lookin data of downloads AOO 4.1.1 binaries, serbian package. There is
something strange. The most downloads is from Spain (1775) and second
country is Serbia with 921 downloads! There is possibility that in Spain
exist persons who are from Serbia, but I am thinking that maybe is some
issue related with download...

Regards,
Wlada

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 7, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sep 7, Tal Daniel wrote:
> > Thanks Rob for the detailed download statistics. The CSV is very useful
> for
> > the English version, though it's less detailed for localized versions).
> >

> The detail should be the same for the localized versions as well.
> Where it gives numbers by platform and by version, this is for all
> languages together, not just English. Then you have the columns for
> total downloads per day by language.

Exactly, not that important, as I can get statistics from SourceForge too,
if I'm that picky with the data.

> The transition from version to version is interesting, I agree.  Where
> it happens quickly, say in 1 or 2 days, it shows that we coordinated
> everything well, and had the website, update notifications, 3rd party
> links to the downloads, etc., all changing over at the same time.
> But even then we still have many downloads of older versions.  This
> suggests that (maybe) there are some 3rd party links to our website
> still pointing to old versions.

That might explain that, while another reason could be developers
installing older versions on VM, for testing.
TODO(?) - move current version to an archive folder, upon release of newer
version (say AOO 5). That would make previous version links obsolete, and
maybe allow users to understand there's a new version, somehow.

Re: Statistic data per single country

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Rob for the detailed download statistics. The CSV is very useful for
the English version, though it's less detailed for localized versions).

The cross-over curve between new & previous versions interests me; maybe
I'll look more into it, in the future.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic
> <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Python script is ok, but I do not know how to use it. So, get back on
> > Sourceforge. Is there way to separat only instalation files (withouth
> > languages files)?
> > Regards,
> > Wlada
> >

> OK.  I ran the python script and uploaded a CSV file that gives
> download details from our first AOO release in 2012 until September
> 1st, 2014.  It gives daily totals per language, as well as per
> platform and per release.
>
> You can download the CSV file here:
>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/all_details.csv
>
> It should import nicely into Calc.
>
> -Rob

> >> Hi Rob,

> >> link
> counted?
> >> > >

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.1/binaries/sr/stats/timeline
> >>

> >> It seems not to be OK for all countries, ie Belgium (be) Switzerland
> (ch)
> >>
> >> A+
> >> --
> >> gw

טל

Re: Statistic data per single country

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom, thanks for tips. Just one question: When set up is like in this link
> below (just "Home", not particular version), what exactly is counted?
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline
>  Downloads for all version of AOO with language packages or just downloads
> for all verison of AOO but just instalation files?

Everything in that directory:  /files

So to get all the Serbian versions you would need to look here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.1/binaries/sr/stats/timeline

And then for the 4.1.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.0 directories, and so on.

A simpler approach, if you need only language-level detail and don't
need the breakdown by language and OS, is to use this tool:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/detail-by-day.py

Also download the data file:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/all.lst

Then you can run:

python detail-by-day.py all.lst 2012-05-07 2014-05-07 >out.csv

It will take a few hours to run, but you will get a CSV file with
download counts for each day.  There is a column for each language.

The output format will be similar to this file:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/aoo-stats/100m.csv

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.