Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Thomas Thevis <th...@vionto.com> on 2009/08/12 11:55:41 UTC

Scheduling dependent jobs with hadoop-0.20.0

Hi all,

currently, we try to upgrade from hadoop-0.19 to hadoop-0.20. Therefore,
we try to get rid of the deprecated JobConf class and switch to
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job where possible.
In several projects we have chained jobs which depend on each other. For
these, we used the Job and JobControl classes of the
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.jobcontrol package which rely on the deprecated
  JobConf class.
How does chaining of dependent jobs work with hadoop-0.20+? Do we still
have to use the org.apache.hadoop.mapred.jobcontrol package or is there
a better way using only the org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job class?
Is there a plan to move org.apache.hadoop.mapred.jobcontrol to a package
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.jobcontrol in the future?

Regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Thevis
Software Developer

fon   +49 30 40 20 3 29 - 28
fax   +49 30 40 20 3 29 - 29
web   http://www.vionto.com
Geschäftsführer: Ralf von Grafenstein, Dr. Martin C. Hirsch
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 108054B

Re: Scheduling dependent jobs with hadoop-0.20.0

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Thomas,

The job control feature has been ported to the new MapReduce API in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-368. This will be in
0.21 I think.

Cheers,
Tom