Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Tassi Pierluigi <PT...@Regione.Emilia-Romagna.it> on 2014/11/28 15:09:40 UTC

Two questions about AOO translation

Hello there from Italy :)
	I've already spotted Apache's Pootle translations website and I've shortly suggested an untranslated string.

I also had "green flag" from organization's officiers being more engaged on contributing AOO.
The problem is my programming skills are not enough so I've thought we could help on Italian language application's translation and documentation.

So I'm asking for an account, my favourite username is "tassoman".

Second question is: how to check translated strings directly inside AOO?
Should we compile all the code from HEAD sources? Would be enough having some po/mo files inside the AOO's tree? Should we develope an extension that will update the original translations?

If could be possible, we would distribute customized translations asap, either before next AOO official release.

---
Best regards, Mr. Pierluigi Tassi
Regione Emilia-Romagna - https://RegioneER.github.io/

Re: Two questions about AOO translation

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 28/11/2014 Tassi Pierluigi wrote:
> So I'm asking for an account, my favourite username is "tassoman".

Hello Pierluigi, nice to see you here too. Account created and enabled
for Italian.

Please go to
https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/
to receive your password.

Then you will able to login at
https://translate.apache.org/accounts/login/
and translate at
https://translate.apache.org/it/aoo40/

For any discussions about the Italian translation (including your fixes)
we can use the progetto-it mailing list that you are already following.

> Second question is: how to check translated strings directly inside AOO?

Michal already answered appropriately. I will only add that from time to
time we do the first setp (import PO -> SDF and commit to the sources)
and the dev versions available at
http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/index.html will then pick up
the new translations, so it is possible to check them before release.
But this still needs a manual import from PO files (form Pootle,
actually) to the source code.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Two questions about AOO translation

Posted by Michal Hriň <hr...@apache.org>.
Hello Pierluigi,

Dňa 28.11.2014 o 15:09 Tassi Pierluigi napísal(a):
> Hello there from Italy :)
> 	I've already spotted Apache's Pootle translations website and I've shortly suggested an untranslated string.
>
> I also had "green flag" from organization's officiers being more engaged on contributing AOO.
> The problem is my programming skills are not enough so I've thought we could help on Italian language application's translation and documentation.
>
> So I'm asking for an account, my favourite username is "tassoman".

Welcome in the community, thanks for your suggestions to untranslated
strings a feel free to continue. This strings are for next release, we
already have OpenOffice in Italian language.

Maybe our Pootle maintainers are too busy so please, be patient.

> Second question is: how to check translated strings directly inside AOO?
> Should we compile all the code from HEAD sources? Would be enough having some po/mo files inside the AOO's tree? Should we develope an extension that will update the original translations?

The process is something like this:

Translated .po files are converted to .sdf file and the .sdf is added to
source. Then the source is compiled.
I'm not sure if it is possible to develop extension with this
functionality or it will be too complicated.

> If could be possible, we would distribute customized translations asap, either before next AOO official release.

We have some trademarks, technically it is possible, I think that you
cannot use OpenOffice or Apache name (only something like "powered by")

Please wait for more comprehensive responses.

Regards,
Michal Hriň