Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com> on 2022/02/07 23:04:58 UTC

Move TomEE master to 9.x for EE 9 and onward

Hi all,

We have discussed it a couple of times here and there. I'd like to open a
dedicated thread for it.

EE 9 has been released and we have created a TomEE 9.x milestone to pass
the TCK. The approach to do bytecode changes to support javax -> jakarta
namespace changes proved to work but it's also been more complex than
expected. We have a limited fork with limited features. We don't support
nearly as much as we do in the 8.x branch.

The goal was to decrease the maintenance cost for the community, but in
reality I fear we are on the opposite path.

I'd like to create a TomEE 8.x maintenance branch where we keep fixing
stuff, upgrading libraries and do as many releases as possible and as long
as we can to support javax namespace. I know it's the last compatible
version so the topic is not when TomEE is going to be EOL.

But if we do that, we could move master to TomEE 9 and start merging back
all changes we did in the fork and finally create an EE 9 final release.

EE 10 is around the corner, if we want to keep supporting EE and being
certified, we need to avoid big jumps.

What does the community think?

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Re: Move TomEE master to 9.x for EE 9 and onward

Posted by "Wiesner, Martin" <ma...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi all,

+1 to proceed as proposed by Jean-Louis.

Best
Martin
—
https://twitter.com/mawiesne

Am 08.02.2022 um 09:22 schrieb Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>>:

+1 to move on

i would also like to get another 8.0.x release but i will send another mail
soon :)

Am Di., 8. Feb. 2022 um 08:07 Uhr schrieb Zowalla, Richard <
richard.zowalla@hs-heilbronn.de<ma...@hs-heilbronn.de>>:

Hi all,

I am strongly +1 for moving forward with it, i.e. time to move on with
master.

There is definitley the need for some artifacts (arquillian, app
composer), which are not covered by the byte-code approach and which
are required to migrate (fully w/o byte code transformation) to the
jakarta namespace :)

Although - I think it is clear to everyone - the 8.x branch will
(obviously) stay for a couple of years as it is the last javax
namespace supporting release.

Gruß
Richard

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.