Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net> on 2005/02/20 06:56:34 UTC

[SARE] Rules updates: Rolex

SARE has finally completed a first pass evaluation of several sets of
submitted rules concerning Rolex spam. You'll find a beta test of
these rules at
http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/70_sare_specific_rolex.cf

You'll find a hit-frequencies report for these rules at the top of
that file.

The 70_sare_specific.cf rule set file is intended to catch the M.O. of
specific spammers and/or specific spam that might otherwise elude more
general-purpose rules.

One of the recent categories of spam seen and complained about is
"Rolex" spam, claiming to sell actual or replica Rolex and other brand
watches. This file, 70_sare_specific_rolex.cf, is our initial
publication to catch these specific spams.

This is a beta test release -- these rules have NOT been through a
full SARE mass-check run yet. They have been tested against well over
150,000 emails, and so should be safe to use, but we do not yet have
the confidence behind these rules that we have for most of our other
rule set files.

IOW: Use at your own risk.
(Well, ALL our rules files are "use at your own risk," but these are
more so.)

Our intent is to roll these rules into the full specific.cf file once
these have been properly validated. The rules will be very likely be
renamed at that time.

Note that some of these rules /do/ hit the very occasional ham. They
should not cause false positives.

Bob Menschel