Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/17 08:44:02 UTC

run a beta for 1.7?

Hey all,

We haven't run any alphas or betas since 1.0. However, I'm thinking it
may be prudent to pull out the "beta" label for the 1.7 release. I
think it may be a good idea to get some broad usage (on the client)
from a larger userbase for a little while before we ship out the 1.7
release.

We're probably a couple months before even *talking* about a release,
so we have time to discuss this option. But I just wanted to throw
this little hand-grenade out earlier, rather than later.

Cheers,
-g

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408471

Re: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 11:28:42AM +0200, Daniel Widenfalk wrote:
> Both server and client tests would be made in a production environment
> but in separate WCs and on a separate server so as to minimize any
> risks :-)

That's exactly the kind of testing we really, really need.

Stefan

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408874

Re: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.
> Hi,
>
> I'd be willing to participate in a "beta program" for 1.7 as long as
> someone can supply me with Windows (client) binaries. I'd also be
> willing to take it for a test drive on the server side if I can get
> a source package that is buildable under Ubuntu 9.04 using debuild
> or similar.
>
> Both server and client tests would be made in a production environment
> but in separate WCs and on a separate server so as to minimize any
> risks :-)

I'll second this, I'm in the same position - if I can get the windows
binaries I'll be able to test the server and client with a small-scale
production repository with a medium-scale working copy.

--
Talden

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409167

Re: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by Daniel Widenfalk <Da...@iar.com>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2009, at 3:44 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> We haven't run any alphas or betas since 1.0. However, I'm thinking it
>> may be prudent to pull out the "beta" label for the 1.7 release. I
>> think it may be a good idea to get some broad usage (on the client)
>> from a larger userbase for a little while before we ship out the 1.7
>> release.
>
> We actually ran a beta for 1.5, and it was an utter disaster.  Nobody
> wanted to risk their working copies on a 'beta', there wasn't a clear
> definition of what separated a beta from a release candidate, and
> third parties (such as Subclipse and TortoiseSVN) were understandably
> hesitant to cut a beta of their own based upon our still-moving API
> and WC format targets.  Since most people get their copy of Subversion
> from third-party sources, and not directly from the project, this last
> point pretty much killed the beta before it started.
>
>> We're probably a couple months before even *talking* about a release,
>> so we have time to discuss this option. But I just wanted to throw
>> this little hand-grenade out earlier, rather than later.
>
> The above being said, I would *love* to ship stable pre-release code
> and have people give it a whirl.  I know that I'll be encouraging my
> clients to give pre-1.7 a thorough testing, since they have usage
> scenarios far beyond what I typically encounter.
>
> The key to doing a beta, IMO, is to be very confident that our wc
> formats are stable, and especially that the APIs are stable, so that
> other clients will also release betas.  (But then we get the faction
> that says "why not just cut a release candidate and get the soak
> started?")  We have to ensure that binaries are available, not just
> our tarballs.
>
> -Hyrum

Hi,

I'd be willing to participate in a "beta program" for 1.7 as long as
someone can supply me with Windows (client) binaries. I'd also be
willing to take it for a test drive on the server side if I can get
a source package that is buildable under Ubuntu 9.04 using debuild
or similar.

Both server and client tests would be made in a production environment
but in separate WCs and on a separate server so as to minimize any
risks :-)

Regards
/Daniel Widenfalk

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408641

Re: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408513

Re: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by consultutah <je...@consultutah.com>.
I would definitely be interested in 1.7 if we could get windows
binaries.  We have a repository with 48,460 revisions and lots of
directories in the WC.  We are running 1.5 and every time I run svn
update, it several minute to place the locks even if there is only a
file or two that needs to be updated.  I can't wait to verify the
improvements in the lock times.

Stefan mentioned that you are still a "couple months before even
*talking* about a release", is it looking like 1.7 will go out end of
1st quarter, middle of the year, etc?

Thanks,

Re: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.
On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We haven't run any alphas or betas since 1.0. However, I'm thinking it
> may be prudent to pull out the "beta" label for the 1.7 release. I
> think it may be a good idea to get some broad usage (on the client)
> from a larger userbase for a little while before we ship out the 1.7
> release.
>
> We're probably a couple months before even *talking* about a release,
> so we have time to discuss this option. But I just wanted to throw
> this little hand-grenade out earlier, rather than later.

I think beta makes sense to learn about problems that
developers/testers cannot catch. Beta will be more useful if it
contain less known problems since you attract more testers.

Currently we've known problems with WC-NG performance. Stefan Kueng
reported them severals times:
http://groups.google.com/group/subversion-development/browse_thread/thread/fe02902f594973f8
http://groups.google.com/group/subversion-development/browse_thread/thread/dbfafb82cbd8166e

So I'll be happy to see 1.7 beta, but only when WC-NG performance will
be similar or better than 1.6.

--
Ivan Zhakov

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408656

RE: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@sharpsvn.net>.

+1 on running a beta.

I will support this idea via the projects I work on. (SharpSvn, AnkhSVN and
Windows CLI binaries).

The first two will probably start daily builds based on 1.7 well before the
beta, as we plan to change some of the core components of AnkhSVN to take
advantage of the new working copy library infrastructure.

	Bert

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408651

Re: run a beta for 1.7?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 04:44:02AM -0400, Greg Stein wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We haven't run any alphas or betas since 1.0. However, I'm thinking it
> may be prudent to pull out the "beta" label for the 1.7 release. I
> think it may be a good idea to get some broad usage (on the client)
> from a larger userbase for a little while before we ship out the 1.7
> release.
>
> We're probably a couple months before even *talking* about a release,
> so we have time to discuss this option. But I just wanted to throw
> this little hand-grenade out earlier, rather than later.

It doesn't matter much to me what we call such a pre-release,
but it's important that we arrange for binaries to be available.
Otherwise not many people will test.

Stefan

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408510