Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by hferreira <hf...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/01 14:43:50 UTC

The state of FlexJS

Hello community,

I just wanted to know that current state of FlexJS ?
Is still too far away to be considered for a complex application ?

Thank you,
Hugo.

AW: The state of FlexJS

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
And what could be better than attending our first flexjs summit at this year's apache con in Miami in May? :-)

We wouldn't be doing that and traveling there from all over the world, if we didn't believe in it being THE next thing in web development.

Chris

Von: Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>
Datum: 01.03.17 19:30 (GMT+01:00)
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: The state of FlexJS

To append to what Alex said, I think is a good momento to jump to FlexJS
and help development.
I found somewhat affordable and end doing an entire library with Piotr (a
library that implements the
complete set of Material Design Library).

For me, some months ago that was not possible, today I think the barrier is
much lower and as well
you have other good points like the Visual Studio Code extension developed
by Josh Tynjala (NextActionScript)

A crucial point for me was the maven support that make setup an environment
to develop FlexJS
possible.

I'll encourage you to star trying the technology since it deserves it.

Best

Carlos

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: The state of FlexJS

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hugo,

Since like Carlos I'm big fun of Intelij I'm using it to make fixes in
FlexJS. Unfortunately the only thing which you can do is writing code and
building using Maven.(encourage you to use it, cause setup of building is
quite easy) You will not be able to debug your project due to not compatible
Flex plugin inside Intelij. - So I'm mostly debugging JS sight in Chrome -
Since compiled code is a good mirror of written ActionScript code.

However I recommend you to go to path with VSCode, cause you will have there
debugging ability. I'm trying to use it and I think it is definately very
powerful and elastic product - Cause of large plugin resources.

Do not hesitate ask on this forum whenever you have problem. When you break
first barier and understand PAYG nature of FlexJS you will love it and
definately using it in real project help us fix bugs.

Examples:
[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-asjs/tree/develop/examples/flexjs

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: The state of FlexJS

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Is there any table or similar mapping FlexJS vs AS (classes, components, properties, methods...)?

There is one of the wiki but only at the component level. Properties and methods are not always going to match the names of the FlexSDK and their may be some features missing on the FlexJS side.

> I have been fiddling with this for a couple of years now trying to convert existing large projects from Flex / FlashBuilder to FlexJS, but keep stumbling on missing bits.  I know and appreciate it is open source but, as I am not so technically competent, the messages back and forth are disconcerting for someone looking for a complete solution.

I don't believe there will ever be a magic recompile FlexSDK to FlexJS so some effort will be required hopefully less over time. However most of your code (business logic and the like) will currently recompile and  it’s still far less effort compared to rewriting your application in another framework / language.

While FlexJS is currently a little rough around the edges (i'st not a 1.0 release yet), and you should expect to run into some issues using it, there’s not a single issue that I’ve run into that couldn't be sorted out one way or another. One or two (such as Container padding) don’t have perfect workarounds, but in all cases it's not a major concern.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: The state of FlexJS

Posted by Virginia Westwood <ad...@proteatextware.com>.
Is there any table or similar mapping FlexJS vs AS (classes, components, properties, methods...)?

I have been fiddling with this for a couple of years now trying to convert existing large projects from Flex / FlashBuilder to FlexJS, but keep stumbling on missing bits.  I know and appreciate it is open source but, as I am not so technically competent, the messages back and forth are disconcerting for someone looking for a complete solution.

Thanks folks, Virginia

Virginia Westwood
Protea Textware Pty Ltd
ABN 72 077 575 047
PO Box 8480
Broome WA 6725
Australia
p: (+61 8)/(08) 9192 8390
f: (+61 8)/(08) 9192 1145
m: (+61 4)/(04) 0897 1446
w: http://www.proteatextware.com
Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Do you have any more complex sample with grids

From a few experiments I think data grids (if that is what you are referring to) is going to be an area where FLexJS will need some more work but they are supported currently. I’m not using data grids on this project.

Re: The state of FlexJS

Posted by hferreira <hf...@gmail.com>.
Justin Mclean wrote
> I’m surprised you list two-way binding as a needed feature

I know that what one of the last features from the old Flex from Adobe but I
use it a lot !

Justin Mclean wrote
> Currently it requires some manual steps

A lot of steps on my opinion that will discourage many devs (I know that you
put a lot of effort, so please don't get me wrong) but I will try on of this
days to go thru the steps.

Do you have any more complex sample with grids and server-side communication
(query data/persistent data) that can build with FlexJS and I can check it
out ?
For me a good example will definitely encourage a few devs to give a try and
will demonstrate the FlexJS power.

Re: The state of FlexJS

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 1. Support communication with server-side thru AMF3

This is currently being worked on, performance however may be different.

> 2. Support communication with server-side thru REST

This is possible now and work quite well in my experience.

> 3. Easy to build components like MXML

Composing applications / views etc etc  from components is easy enough, however currently not all FlexJS component can be extended via MXML.

> 4. Easy to install on IDEA IDE like Flex SDK

Currently it requires some manual steps (documented on wiki) you don't need to set any environment variables or run any scripts if you use the installer.

> 5. Binding and two-way binding easier as Flex.

Basic binding works, I’ve not tried two way binding but I'd expect it’s not  supported yet. I’m surprised you list two-way binding as a needed feature and I can only think of a few cases I used it FlexSDK application and it can easily be replaced with a little code.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: The state of FlexJS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/1/17, 3:17 PM, "hferreira" <hf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a licensed Ultimate IntelliJ IDEA and I love it !

If IntelliJ is a requirement, are you willing to spend some time trying to
use the workarounds we know of, and/or try to find alternative solutions?

IIRC, there is a workaround for code intelligence, but recent attempts to
smooth out the process were blocked by JetBrains.  One angle we didn't try
was alternate scripts and compiler options.  For Flash Builder, we supply
a script that you run that converts a new Flex project into a FlexJS
project, and we have a compiler option that tells the compiler to read the
Flash Builder project files and pull configuration information from there.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: The state of FlexJS

Posted by hferreira <hf...@gmail.com>.
I have a licensed Ultimate IntelliJ IDEA and I love it !
Visual Studio Code seems a way back and for kids (sorry :))
For a very basic text editor I use Notepad++ on Windows and TextWrangler on
Mac.

I need to get time to go thru the process but a complex sample would break
down barriers and would be a visual way to demonstrate "you used to do that
with Flex SDK" and now "that's how we do with Flex JS" but since we don't
have that sample I need to do on my self one of this days.

Thank you for your input about this !

Re: The state of FlexJS

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
I started working on AMF3 a few days ago. Due to work I couldn't get my
hands this days, but expect to get back to it ASAIC.
For IDEA, I'm a big fan and supporter of IDEA IDE, and many folks here and
using it already for FlexJS. However, I recommend you to
check vscode+nextgenas, if you don't want, no problem, go with IDEA and
check wiki or mailing list to get it working.

The rest is working in some way or another. As I said before, is a good
time to start getting your hands dirty with FlexJS.

Only if people like you start to work with it, we could get this technology
to start ramping up.

> IMO, it depends on how complex.  We are looking for folks who are willing
> to put up with the rough edges and help us make FlexJS strong enough to
> support your application.  It won't be like working with Flex 4.x.  There
> will be lots of bugs and other issues, but we need real world applications
> in order to find and fix those bugs and issues.
>
> So if you or anyone else reading this is interested, let's find out more
> about what your app does and requires.
>
> Fair enought:
> 1. Support communication with server-side thru AMF3 (for legacy purpose
> because change client-side and server-side at once is too much);
> 2. Support communication with server-side thru REST;
> 3. Easy to build components like MXML;
> 4. Easy to install on IDEA IDE like Flex SDK (run 30 scripts and change
> system variables it's not nice as Flex SDK);
> 5. Binding and two-way binding easier as Flex.
>
> I could mention many other things that is a requirement, however OMHO
> without a good setup (point 4), many developers will not haven consider
> give
> a try.
> I know that seems lazy but it the true.

Carlos Rovira