Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2008/01/06 10:18:06 UTC

Re: svn commit: r609253 - in /commons/proper/io/trunk: RELEASE-NOTES.txt src/java/org/apache/commons/io/FileUtils.java src/test/org/apache/commons/io/FileUtilsTestCase.java

niallp@apache.org wrote:
> +    public static boolean deleteQuietly(File file) {
> +        if (file == null) {
> +            return false;
> +        }
> +        try {
> +            if (file.isDirectory()) {
> +                cleanDirectory(file);
> +            }
> +        } catch (Throwable t) {
> +        }
> +
> +        try {
> +            return file.delete();
> +        } catch (Throwable t) {
> +            return false;
> +        }

I think I would prefer catch(Exception) rather than catch(Throwable).
Hiding an OutOfMemoryError (and similar) is generally a Bad Idea. Is
there a specific use case for catching Throwable?

Stephen

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 6, 2008 9:18 AM, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> niallp@apache.org wrote:
> > +    public static boolean deleteQuietly(File file) {
> > +        if (file == null) {
> > +            return false;
> > +        }
> > +        try {
> > +            if (file.isDirectory()) {
> > +                cleanDirectory(file);
> > +            }
> > +        } catch (Throwable t) {
> > +        }
> > +
> > +        try {
> > +            return file.delete();
> > +        } catch (Throwable t) {
> > +            return false;
>
> I think I would prefer catch(Exception) rather than catch(Throwable).
> Hiding an OutOfMemoryError (and similar) is generally a Bad Idea. Is
> there a specific use case for catching Throwable?

Good point - I've modified this as you suggest:

Niall