Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Knute Johnson <ap...@knutejohnson.com> on 2012/11/19 03:39:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Exploit?

  A total of 2 possible successful probes were detected (the following
URLs contain strings that match one or more of a listing of strings that
  indicate a possible exploit):

     /?mod=../../../../../../../../proc/self/environ%00 HTTP Response 200
     /?page=../../../../../../../../proc/self/environ%00 HTTP Response 200

Above showed up in my log this morning.  Anybody know what the exploit
could be and how one can prevent this?

Thanks,

knute...

Re: [users@httpd] Exploit?

Posted by Ben Johnson <be...@indietorrent.org>.

On 11/19/2012 9:54 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> I'm guessing it might be trying a probe against a content management
> system that has a hole in it (e.g., Wordpress has been known to leak
> information in the past).
>
> Clearly some security scanner wrote those entries in your log file.  If
> you have something checking for that kind of exploit, you might want to
> look at its documentation for details.  (And report back!)

I see the same types of messages from Linux Logwatch, e.g.:

A total of 1 possible successful probes were detected (the following URLs
 contain strings that match one or more of a listing of strings that
 indicate a possible exploit):

/vtigercrm/graph.php?current_language=../../../../../../../..//etc/elastix.conf%00&module=Accounts&action
HTTP Response 301

My experience has been that these URLs need not exist for Logwatch to
include them in its output. We don't use vTiger CRM (whatever that may
be), so we ignore these entries.

Unless you have some CMS installed that accepts those query string
parameters (which WordPress might, as Isaac suggested), you can ignore
the messages.

If, on the other hand, you do use a CMS that may be vulnerable to this
type of exploit, be sure to perform due diligence and update it if
necessary.

Good luck!

-Ben

Re: [users@httpd] Exploit?