Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by 徐毅 <xu...@126.com> on 2019/01/25 17:16:19 UTC

New release for iotdb website

Hi,

After about a month of work, our website is officially online. (http://iotdb.apache.org/#/) Thanks to the guys who worked hard for it.

In this release, we mainly complete 3 things:
1. complete the remaining pages
2. Optimized display style
3. Adapt to the mobile side

If you have any advice to our website, please reply to this email.

Thanks
Xu Yi

Re: New release for iotdb website

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

From an ASF policy point of view the web site is missing a few things [1]:
- missing disclaimer [2]
- missing some links in the navigation [3]

This doesn’t have to be done right away but it all needed to be done before graduation. I’ll add the disclaimer to make it clear it’s an incubating project as a priority.

Also a very minor thing as it just been published the copyright should be 2019 not 2018.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/iotdb
2. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers
3. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#navigation

Re: Re: Unapproved releases

Posted by 乔嘉林 Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

I have removed the tag v0.7.1 and the release v0.7.1.

The following url is 404 now:
https://github.com/thulab/iotdb/releases/tag/v0.7.1

--
Jialin Qiao
School of Software, Tsinghua University

乔嘉林
清华大学 软件学院

Re: Unapproved releases

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Unapproved releases

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Thank you very much for your checking and instruction.

I have removed the unofficial release version (v0.7.1) from the website
now. When we say `Note that before v0.7.1`, the actual meaning is for all
version that <= v.0.7.1..  It is our mistake to say "before".
The version is just for letting interested persons have something to try.

Actually, we eagerly hope to release the first official version under the
leading of ASF.

By the way, I just removed the link from the website. For committers who
are more familiar with VUE, please recheck the website again and remove the
related source file. @Yi Xu

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年1月26日周六 上午4:51写道:

Re: Unapproved releases

Re: Unapproved releases

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I’ve raised an issue for this:
https://github.com/thulab/iotdb/issues/593

Thanks,
Justin

Unapproved releases

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I was looking at the website and I think it would be good to make it clearer that [1] is not an official release.

On the release page it states "Note that before v0.7.1, IoTDB had not yet become an incubator project in Apache. Above is an unofficial release since our first official release is still in progress.” But you can select v0.7.1, as this project hasn’t made an Apache release that is slightly misleading.

Now what has happened here is probably not allowed. It looks like v0.7.1 was released 28th December after the project entered incubation. I sorry but you can not make a release without the approval of the PPMC and IPMC, this is usually done by having a vote. [2] I strongly suggest you remove this release and go through the correct process to release it and all future releases. Also downloads to releases should not point to giuthub but to the offical Apache mirror system, also releases must consist of source code only, what is linked to on that page are binaries for the connivance of users not releases as Apache doesn’t make releases of compiled code as they are not open source.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://iotdb.apache.org/#/Materials/Release%20Notes
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#what

Re: New release for iotdb website

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

On the development page [1] it goes into a lot of detail on using JIRA but as far as I know the project is using GitHub issues currently or are we using both?

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://iotdb.apache.org/#/Development

Re: New release for iotdb website

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re the website I would fix change the text justification as it’s hard to read where words are split over lines.

eg In the latest new box on the front page.
"After the Apache version is rel
eased, users are encouraged to
read the overview of major chan
ges in ….”