Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> on 2011/08/16 18:45:41 UTC

In-band SA child status monitoring

I started checking into ways that spamd's behaviour can be more deeply
monitored after a report from a coworker that it *apparently* stopped
responding.  spamd PING doesn't seem to indicate the outage for some reason.

I was hoping to find a spamd protocol command that would return the same
child status string as is sent to the log on a regular basis, and didn't
find one.  So I tried to add one.

However, I can't quite see how a child process can request something
from the parent;  all of the IPC seems to be set up for one-way requests
from the parent to the children.

Is there a map of which methods are called where/when that I can use to
track down where I might add the needed code?  I *think* I've found
where the child can send the request;  but I can't find anywhere the
parent can respond to that request.  :/

-kgd