Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jay Levitt <ja...@shopwatch.org> on 2005/02/19 05:35:35 UTC

SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

I have SA 3.01 running under mimedefang 2.43 with sendmail 8.13.1.  At
some point, SA seems to stop doing lookups on the DNSBLs; spam gets
through that is listed in multiple BLs; if I check manually with
spamassassin -t, it detects the BL entry, even if I run it moments after
the spam was received.

I don't see anything obvious in the logs.  What can I do to troubleshoot
this?

Jay Levitt

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
>Actually a bug was already posted and a patch put into trunk.
>The devs are silent and stealthy. ;)

Ah!  Guess I should read dev before users rather than the other way around!

        Loren

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Flanders!  My socks feel dirty!  Gimme some water to wash 'em!

 		-- Homer Simpson
 		   Boy-Scoutz n the Hood

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Rick Beebe <ri...@yale.edu>.
Jay Levitt wrote:
> I discovered Net::DNS::Resolver::errorstring, and put some more logging
> into SA, and the problem is really simple:  my caching-only nameserver
> times out when looking up NS records for a site that's not in the
> cache.  Not entirely surprising, with a 3-second timeout in SA.  And my
> site is infinitely small (just me), so it's going to be fairly common
> that one of the well-known sites is not in cache.
>
> SA realizes this, and tries to loop, in Dns.pm's is_dns_available, but
> the loop is coded wrong, because either a success or a failure breaks
> out of the loop!  A timeout in lookup_ns will result in $result defined,
> but containing no records, and that triggers the "failed horribly"
> clause, setting $IS_DNS_AVAILABLE to zero until mimedefang eventually
> cycles the child process.

I'm a little behind on my SA mail--I noticed this a few weeks ago. My
"fix" since I didn't want to patch the code itself was to put
"dns_available yes" in local.cf. That skips the whole is_dns_avialable
test in DNS.pm.

    Rick Beebe                                            (203) 785-6416
    Manager, Systems & Network Engineering           FAX: (203) 785-3481
    ITS-Med Production Systems                    Richard.Beebe@yale.edu
    Yale University School of Medicine
    Suite 124, 100 Church Street South           http://its.med.yale.edu
    New Haven, CT 06519

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Jay Levitt <ja...@shopwatch.org>.
Jay Levitt wrote:

> A quick test shows that indeed, an awful lot of domains are repeatedly
> failing in lookup_ns, but that different domains fail at different
> times - the domains that repeatedly fail right now were fine last
> night in the SA logs.
>
> So it looks like this is something (intermittment) to do with the
> resolver on my system, or perhaps the caching nameserver, and nothing
> to do with SA.  I'll keep digging and report back what I find.  If
> anyone has any tips, of course, feel free to let me know.

I spoke too soon.  Turns out I'd accidentally left "recurse=>0" in the
test harness.  No wonder it was failing so often.

Posted by Alan Premselaar <al...@12inch.com>.
Jay Levitt wrote:
[SNIP]

> I tried to create a test harness to see if I can replicate this outside
> of SA, but for some reason, even though I double-checked the code I
> copied from Dns.pm, I'm getting weird results - it's always giving me
> the root nameservers, instead of the name servers for each of the
> domains.  This is true with recurse => 0, recurse => 1, or recurse left
> out entirely as it is in Dns.pm.  I'm no Perl whiz; can anyone see my
> mistake?
>
> Code follows:
>
> -------------
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> no strict;
> no warnings;
>
> require Net::DNS;
> require Net::DNS::Resolver;
>
> use strict;
> use warnings;
>
> my @EXISTING_DOMAINS = qw{
>               adelphia.net
>               akamai.com
>               apache.org
>               cingular.com
>               colorado.edu
>               comcast.net
>               doubleclick.com
>               ebay.com
>               gmx.net
>               google.com
>               intel.com
>               kernel.org
>               linux.org
>               mit.edu
>               motorola.com
>               msn.com
>               sourceforge.net
>               sun.com
>               w3.org
>               yahoo.com
>             };
>

> my $res = Net::DNS::Resolver->new (
>                    recurse => 0,
>                    retry => 1,
>                    retrans => 0,
>                    dnsrch => 0,
>                    defnames => 0,
>                    tcp_timeout => 3,
>                    udp_timeout => 3,
>                    persistent_tcp => 1,
>                    persistent_udp => 1
>                   );
>
> die unless defined $res;
>
> for(;;) {
>   my @domains = @EXISTING_DOMAINS;
>   my $domain = splice(@domains, rand(@domains), 1);
>   print "trying '$domain'...\n";
>   lookup_ns($domain);
> }
>
> sub lookup_ns {
>   my ($self, $dom) = @_;

         ^^^^   Since you're not using this as a Perl Module (OOP) my
guess is that $self contains the value you expect to be in $dom and $dom
is NULL.

Try removing $self from your argument list and make it look like:
   my ($dom) = @_;

and see if that works for you.

debug statements are your friend. :)

hope this helps

alan

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Wednesday, February 23, 2005, 8:38:31 AM, Jay Levitt wrote:
> After it's been running for a few hours, the lookup_ns check (which does
> a sanity check to make sure we can resolve the nameservers of a
> well-known domain) seems to fail.  Or, rather, it returns, but with 0
> entries in the array.  This causes SA to stop doing any RBL lookups for
> some period of time.

> I tried to create a test harness to see if I can replicate this outside
> of SA, but for some reason, even though I double-checked the code I
> copied from Dns.pm, I'm getting weird results - it's always giving me
> the root nameservers, instead of the name servers for each of the
> domains.  This is true with recurse => 0, recurse => 1, or recurse left
> out entirely as it is in Dns.pm.  I'm no Perl whiz; can anyone see my
> mistake?

Off the top of my head, that sounds like a DNS configuration
error.  Do you have a recent root hints file?  That got updated a
couple times over the past couple years IIRC.

> ;       This file is made available by InterNIC
> ;       under anonymous FTP as
> ;           file                /domain/named.root
> ;           on server           FTP.INTERNIC.NET
> ;       -OR-                    RS.INTERNIC.NET
> ;
> ;       last update:    Jan 29, 2004
> ;       related version of root zone:   2004012900

Somewhat WAG, but probably worth checking.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Jay Levitt <ja...@shopwatch.org>.
Jeff Chan wrote (quoting Jay Levitt):

>>Nope, that's not it.  I've been throwing debug code in bit by bit.
>>(More accurately, I've been re-copying the dbg statements as "warns",
>>because while there's plenty of useful output, there are just too many
>>un-categorized dbg statements to leave debug enabled... sigh.)  Looks
>>like every once in a while, the lookup_ns sanity-checks that SA does on
>>well-known domains are returning with zero NS records.  Still not sure
>>why that happens yet, or exactly what is going on, but that does
>>understandably lead SA to disable DNSBL processing for a while.
>>

>Hmm, that sounds like something that may deserve a bugzilla.  Can
>anyone else replicate that behavior?
>
>Is your Net::DNS completely current and happy?

Yep, 0.48.

>Have you checked all of your:
>
>  /etc/resolv.conf
>  $HOME/.resolv.conf
>  ./.resolv.conf
>
>for the user mimedefang or SA runs as to make sure they're all
>correct and all the name servers on them resolve the RBLs
>correctly?

Yep.  The only *resolv.conf file on the system is /etc/resolv.conf.

> [...]
>the time now, for a few hours at a time, for every 6th message,
>etc.?

After it's been running for a few hours, the lookup_ns check (which does
a sanity check to make sure we can resolve the nameservers of a
well-known domain) seems to fail.  Or, rather, it returns, but with 0
entries in the array.  This causes SA to stop doing any RBL lookups for
some period of time.

I tried to create a test harness to see if I can replicate this outside
of SA, but for some reason, even though I double-checked the code I
copied from Dns.pm, I'm getting weird results - it's always giving me
the root nameservers, instead of the name servers for each of the
domains.  This is true with recurse => 0, recurse => 1, or recurse left
out entirely as it is in Dns.pm.  I'm no Perl whiz; can anyone see my

  my $query = $res->search($dom, 'NS');
  if ($query) {
    foreach my $rr ($query->answer) {
      print "type=", $rr->type, ", nsdname=", $rr->nsdname, "\n";
    }
  }
  else {
    print "ERROR! no query\n";
  }
}

1;

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Jay Levitt <ja...@shopwatch.org>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 9:57:02 AM, Andy Jezierski wrote:
> Kelson <ke...@speed.net> wrote on 02/22/2005 11:30:46 AM:

>> Jay Levitt wrote:
>> > I have SA 3.01 running under mimedefang 2.43 with sendmail 8.13.1.  At

>> > some point, SA seems to stop doing lookups on the DNSBLs; spam gets
>> > through that is listed in multiple BLs; if I check manually with
>> > spamassassin -t, it detects the BL entry, even if I run it moments
> after
>> > the spam was received.
>> > I don't see anything obvious in the logs.  What can I do to
> troubleshoot
>> > this?
>>
>> Make sure MIMEDefang hasn't created a new /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf on
>> an upgrade.
>>
>> That happened to my server a while back -- We were just using
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf, and upgraded MD, and MD saw there was
>> no sa-mimedefang.cf, so it created it with the defaults -- and the
>> defaults disable DNSBLs.

> Could this be the same problem as the discussion in the "Spammer
> Anti-SURBL tactic" thread?

> Andy

Possibly, but I think the "lots of URI" spams are still somewhat
rare, so it should only be an occasional occurrence.

It sounds like this thread "SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing
DNSBLs" is more likely an installation or configuration issue for
this particular system.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Andy Jezierski wrote:

> Kelson <ke...@speed.net> wrote on 02/22/2005 11:30:46 AM:
>
> > Jay Levitt wrote:
> > > I have SA 3.01 running under mimedefang 2.43 with sendmail 8.13.1.  At
> > > some point, SA seems to stop doing lookups on the DNSBLs; spam gets
> > > through that is listed in multiple BLs; if I check manually with
> > > spamassassin -t, it detects the BL entry, even if I run it moments
> after
> > > the spam was received.
[snip..]
> > Make sure MIMEDefang hasn't created a new /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf on
> > an upgrade.
> >
> > That happened to my server a while back -- We were just using
> > /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf, and upgraded MD, and MD saw there was
> > no sa-mimedefang.cf, so it created it with the defaults -- and the
> > defaults disable DNSBLs.
>
> Could this be the same problem as the discussion in the "Spammer
> Anti-SURBL tactic" thread?

No, the problem that I saw was caused by the contents of the message.
it didn't matter how I fed it to SA, SURBL did not 'fire' on the spammer
"payload" URL, eventho the site was in several lists.

When I first saw the spam I was puzzled and ran it thru SA with full
debugging to see what was going on.
( spamassassin -D rulesrun=255 < message.txt )

I saw lots of SURBL tests on the "decoy" URLs but none of the "payload".

I removed the CR characters from the "payload" URL, retested but still
no hits, removed most of the "decoy" URLs from the message, then a
retest did hit. So it was entirely due to the message content
exploiting two weaknesses in SA.

PS: if you do a full debug SA run, it's best to redirect the output to
a file for reading, it produces thousands of lines of output. ;)

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Andy Jezierski <aj...@stepan.com>.

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Saturday, February 19, 2005, 8:05:05 AM, Jay Levitt wrote:
> Just checked.. there is only one resolv.conf on the system, in
> /etc/resolv.conf, and it correctly points to my own machine, which runs
> a caching named (actually caching for the world, authoritative for my
> own domain).

Note that the other two files mentioned are .resolv.conf, not
resolv.conf:

> >>      /etc/resolv.conf
> >>      $HOME/.resolv.conf
> >>      ./.resolv.conf

and that you'd want to check them for the specific user that
SpamAssassin (spamd, etc.) runs as.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Saturday, February 19, 2005, 8:05:05 AM, Jay Levitt wrote:
> It's important to note that the DNS lookups DO work for a while after
> starting mimedefang; it's just at some point after days/weeks that it
> stops trying (or stops succeeding).

You may want to check that your name server *only* thinks it's
authoritative for your own zones.  If you try to primary or
secondary zones you're not authoritative for, like an RBL zone
for example, your name server may give odd results when it
finally realizes that it's not authoritative.

Not sure what else to suggest.  Do you have any DNS caching or
accelerating programs?  Perhaps they're doing something similar.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: SA 3.01 eventually stops noticing DNSBLs

Posted by Jay Levitt <ja...@shopwatch.org>.
Jeff Chan wrote:

>On Friday, February 18, 2005, 8:35:35 PM, Jay Levitt wrote:
>

>>I have SA 3.01 running under mimedefang 2.43 with sendmail 8.13.1.  At
>>some point, SA seems to stop doing lookups on the DNSBLs; spam gets
>>through that is listed in multiple BLs; if I check manually with
>>spamassassin -t, it detects the BL entry, even if I run it moments after
>>the spam was received.
>>

>One thing to check is whether your name resolution is truly
>correct.
>
>Are you running Net::DNS 0.48?

I was running 0.47; just upgraded to 0.48.  Was there some known bug in
0.47 that could cause this?  The Changes for 0.48 don't mention anything
that looks relevant.

>Is it installed and upgraded in a consistent way (i.e. always
>rpms or always CPAN or always tarballs)?  Using different upgrade
>methods can confuse things.

Always CPAN.

>Did you see the recent thread about the various resolve.conf's
>used by Net::DNS?  Are they all correct for the user SpamAssassin
>runs as?

Just checked.. there is only one resolv.conf on the system, in
/etc/resolv.conf, and it correctly points to my own machine, which runs
a caching named (actually caching for the world, authoritative for my
own domain).

It's important to note that the DNS lookups DO work for a while after
starting mimedefang; it's just at some point after days/weeks that it
stops trying (or stops succeeding).  Any tips as to where I could put
debugging code?  Should SA already be writing something to a log file?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.