Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by T2thenike <T2...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/17 18:50:38 UTC

Hive JDBC Connection Timeout

I am working with complex Hive queries and moderate amounts of data.  I am
running into a problem where my JDBC connection is timing out before the
Hive answer is returned.  The timeout seems to occur at about 3 minutes, but
the query takes at least 5.  I'm running Hadoop 0.20.1, Hive 0.4.0, and I'd
like to stick with these versions.  Is there a way to increase the
connection timeout?

I am setup using Hive and plain text files for inputs.  I'm getting the JDBC
running using "hive --service hiveserver", which enables the JDBC/Thrift
interface.  The actual exception is a SQLException caused by a Thrift
exception where the "Connection timed out".

I have already tried setting the SQL statement.setQueryTimeout(), which seem
to have no effect.  Maybe there's a setting to increase the Thrift timeout,
but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?

Re: Hive JDBC Connection Timeout

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
See if this works:

DriverManger.setLoginTimeout(...);