Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu> on 2015/04/14 01:13:18 UTC

Github's Pull Request For Code Patches?

Is it possible to use github's Pull Request for the GSOC students? This
would allow the students to use git without having committer access to the
project. (In the future they may have access...) Just wonder what the best
method for incorporating the students work until they get committer access.

A bigger question, how can an Apache project use github? The mirror appears
to limit user access to only "apache" user. Do you have to request access?

Thanks
Preston

Re: Github's Pull Request For Code Patches?

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
I think that the process to work with github is to
1) fork the repository at https://github.com/apache/vxquery <https://github.com/apache/vxquery> into a personal account,
2) do the work, and then to
3) send a pull request to the project.
That all should work. The part that doesn’t work via GitHub is the application of the pull request to the code. I think that this has to be done by getting the patch from github and applying it manually. And I think that this is international, to ensure that an Apache committer will review the code and commit it to the Apache repository. From there it should then be mirrored back to GitHub.

Would this work as a process for the GSoC students?
Is there something in the process that technically doesn’t work right now?

Cheers,
Till