Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by jleslie48 <jl...@yahoo.com> on 2008/09/26 17:41:54 UTC

system() call on apache server/windows xp pro host

I know my usage is a bit unusual, but it is important that I can get this
done.

I'm running the apache server on a machine that I am also running the
browser from, so I access the apache server by typing in the browser
"http://localhost"

my cgi program has in it a call:

system("start notepad");

which launches a notepad.exe session on the hosted machine like it should,
however its owner is "SYSTEM" and the notepad session does not have an
active window, aka, its not on the taskbar, but it does exist in the task
manager as a process, although I can't attach my screen/keyboard to it.
How do I launch the notepad session normally from a cgi???

my cgi was written using the Borland 5.5 C++ compiler.

TIA,

Jon

Re: system() call on apache server/windows xp pro host

Posted by jleslie48 <jl...@yahoo.com>.

mturk wrote:

> jleslie48 wrote:
>> I know my usage is a bit unusual, but it is important that I can get this
>> done.
>>

> It is, and this sort of question is for users group, not dev one.
>

>> which launches a notepad.exe session on the hosted machine like it
>> should,
>> however its owner is "SYSTEM" and the notepad session does not have an
>> active window, aka, its not on the taskbar, but it does exist in the task
>> manager as a process, although I can't attach my screen/keyboard to it.
>> How do I launch the notepad session normally from a cgi???
>>

> Since you work with desktop, modify the service to use your
> account instead SYSTEM, and enable 'Interact with desktop'
> property. However, this won't work on Vista, and successors,
> but on XP it should.
>
> Regards
> --
> ^(TM)

Thank you very much for response.  I figured that since I was writing the
cgi, that it was a developers question, and not a users, sorry if I put it
in the wrong section.

 AHHH!!!!  I found it.  in the system tray, right-click on the apache icon,
and the "open services" button.
right click on the "apache2" service, tab to "logon" and there it is.  I
stopped and restarted the service,
and all is working now.

This is perfect.

Thanks!!!

Re: system() call on apache server/windows xp pro host

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.