Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Robert Mena <rt...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/23 13:21:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Limiting the number of accesses per directory

Hi,

I am facing a problem where a user's page
(mydomain.com/~login) is too popular taking as much as
90% of the free daemons of my apache 1.3.X (latest rpm
from apache 7.x).

I'd like to know what can I do to prevent that.  I
already use the latest mod_bandwidth but it seems to
be misconfigured since it did not work :(

<VirtualHost myip>
  ServerAdmin webmaster@mydomain.com
  DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/
  ServerName www.mydomain.com
        ErrorLog logs/mydomain_error_log
        CustomLog logs/mydomain_access_log combined
        Options FollowSymLinks
         <Directory /home/httpd/html/horde/>
                php_admin_flag zlib.output_compression
off
                php_admin_flag display_startup_errors
Off
                php_admin_flag display_errors Off
        </Directory>

        BandWidthModule On

        <Directory /home/user-ftp/badlogin/>
               MaxConnection 10
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Besides mod_bandwidth what would you recommend ?

Re: [users@httpd] Limiting the number of accesses per directory

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Robert Andersson wrote:

> Robert Mena wrote:
> > I am facing a problem where a user's page
> > (mydomain.com/~login) is too popular taking as much as
> > 90% of the free daemons of my apache 1.3.X [...]
> >
> > I'd like to know what can I do to prevent that.
>
> What exactly is it you want to prevent? You are saying that this "page" is
> taking 90% of the _free_ children; how do you determine this and why does it
> matter?
>
> If you rather meant that it is taking 90% of all children ("slots"), you may
> want to turn off Keep-Alive or lower the timeout, but that depends very much
> on the nature of this "page".

It does indeed.  The OP mentioned PHP, which could be suppressing
keepalive.  In that case enabling it (with a low timeout value) could
be a huge improvement (one TCP connection for the page, as opposed
to a separate one for every image, stylesheet, script, etc).

> > Besides mod_bandwidth what would you recommend ?
>
> mod_throttle?

Upgrading to Apache 2 and Worker MPM, if your PHP can cope.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Limiting the number of accesses per directory

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Robert Mena wrote:
> I am facing a problem where a user's page
> (mydomain.com/~login) is too popular taking as much as
> 90% of the free daemons of my apache 1.3.X [...]
>
> I'd like to know what can I do to prevent that.

What exactly is it you want to prevent? You are saying that this "page" is
taking 90% of the _free_ children; how do you determine this and why does it
matter?

If you rather meant that it is taking 90% of all children ("slots"), you may
want to turn off Keep-Alive or lower the timeout, but that depends very much
on the nature of this "page".

> Besides mod_bandwidth what would you recommend ?

mod_throttle?

Regards,
Robert Andersson