Posted to users@maven.apache.org by is_maximum <mn...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/07 06:52:38 UTC

problem regarding maven release plugin

Hi
We are using Maven release plugin version 2 beta 9
1 - We've got some problem in releasing our applications. There are a bunch
of projects defined in our company and each is being developed by a team.
Because we are in developing phase for some dependencies we use SNAPSHOT
versions and we don't want to provide release version for every small change
but this plugin don't proceed if there is a SNAPSHOT dependency, however it
asks if you want to check project dependency. Those dependencies need not to
be released because they are used as library.

2 - The plugin will stop going if there is a SNAPSHOT plugin as well. I
don't think this is good because the maven plugins we use might be in
SNAPSHOT version. maven plugins are not project dependencies actually, they
are maven dependencies. However in interactive mode it asks which dependency
to be checked and I choose Project dependency but the plugin goes to
investigate plugins as well

-----
--
Regards
Mohammad

Re: problem regarding maven release plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
2009/9/7 is_maximum <mn...@gmail.com>

> Dan Tran wrote:
> >
> > Release plugin cannot proceed with snapshot dependencies including
> > build plugin.
> > The main rational is it want to guarantee the release code is
> > producible.  Note snapshots
> > can go away any time and it can have behaviors changed any time.
> >
> > -D
> >

> Yes that's right but this guarantee could be optional.
> I think the person in charge while releasing know his job and this is not
> going to blow everything up so This is him/her that decide whether the
> release contains SNAPSHOT or not
>
> I still think that checking maven plugins versions doesn't make sense
> because once we make a release version you can see no jar file from any
> maven plugin uin your release unless your project is a maven plugin project
>
> for example, in our project we have a plugin for jaxb and it is a snapshot
> version, I use this to create a xsd file each time I compile my project,
> why
> do I need to comment this plugin during a release process because the
> release plugin don't like that.

I do not mean to appear rude...

If you don't like the way the release plugin works, you can always write
your own.

The considered opinion of most people is that the current checks in the
release plugin are entirely necessary, and the minimal set of checks in
order to ensure that any release can be completely and reliably reproduced
at a later point in time.  If you feel differently, the core module used the
the release plugin is available as a dependency, so you would not have much
writing to do

-Stephen

Posted by is_maximum <mn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.