Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rooda, William J" <wr...@indiana.edu> on 2003/04/11 03:39:34 UTC

JAVA Class Import Problem, Tomcat 4.1.24

Group-

I am trying to pass a very simple java object through the session, so
the *.jsp file needs to have access to it.  The function ONLY has two
String values, as well as the getters and setters.  All of the servlets
and classes compile perfectly, and run perfectly on a different web
server.

When I try to run the files on TOMCAT, however, I get the following
error:

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
    [javac] C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\test\chat_jsp.java:8: '.' expected
    [javac] import Message;
    [javac]               ^
    [javac] 1 error

This leads me to believe that Tomcat is trying to treat Message like a
PACKAGE, and not as a class.  I have tried renaming Message to something
else, in case it was a keyword (can't understand why it would be, but I
wanted to be safe.)  The *.jsp I am trying to call works well otherwise.
If I change the attribute I'm passing to a String (instead of a
Message), the ENTIRE program works 100%.  I seem to remember being told
that there was something I have to do in order to make it work; I tried
implementing java.io.Serializable in my Message class, and I tried it
without, and neither one worked correctly.  Another problem is that if I
write an import line to import this Class in another package in the same
application, it gives the same error.  Am I forgetting to include or
implement something?

I would GREATLY appreciate any help you might have for a novice user
with a huge time crunch! :-) :-) :-)

Sincerely,

WJR

W. John Rooda

Master of Science in Information Systems Candidate

Email: wrooda@indiana.edu

Cell: (812)219-5021

Homepage URL: http://php.indiana.edu/~wrooda

 "Men are only as good as their technical development allows them to
be."

~George Orwell