Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/21 13:50:38 UTC

Any thoughts on Tapestry with PhoneGap?

I've previously written a jQueryMobile app served up by Tapestry and found
that I had to approach it by writing TML files that were pretty much just a
handful of divs as placeholders for JavaScript to fill in. Tapestry handled
all the events (AJAX requests) and returned JSON objects full of data for
JavaScript to turn into HTML and append to the divs.

I didn't get around to trying to handle input but I'd guess t wouldn't be
very pleasant.

Can anyone tell me whether their PhoneGap experience was similar, or is it
possible to make more use of Tapestry rendering? Even better, can it make
use of Tapestry form handling? Is there, perhaps, a way with PhoneGap to
make use of the full, glorious, Tapestry AJAX experience?

Cheers,

Geoff

Re: Any thoughts on Tapestry with PhoneGap?

Posted by Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.eu>.
Yes, I'm also a little puzzled how Exfm got away with it.. :)

Think apps that are distributed through appstore needs to go through the
normal approval process.

... but, Apple does have an Enterprise program where apps are not required
to be approved by them. Could be a viable option, but comes with a steeper
price-tag.
https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise

/magnus

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
I've written a few iPhone apps and tried PhoneGap for one of them. If you
are only targeting iOS then I think it's easier to just write a native app.
Objective C with ARC using Xcode is a more polished development environment
than HTML5 (not to say Tapestry/Java/HTML5/Eclipse is bad).

I would also say Bootstrap works pretty well on a phone and even web apps
have access to location services and the camera. If you don't need anything
else I'd stick to a real web app.

If you are trying to write a cross platform app with a small team PhoneGap
might be a good solution, but in my case (team of 1) I choose to just
target iOS instead of trying to be cross platform.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.eu>.
Hi Geoff.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:29:11 -0200, Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> javascript where possible which is why I love tapestry. This would mean
> your app is basically a glorified browser :)

Well, isn't PhoneGap/Apache Cordova just a way of writing apps in HTML,
JavaScrpipt and CSS, all that actually running in a browser? ;)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Any thoughts on Tapestry with PhoneGap?

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
I have 50% already written, as a T5.4 web app, and have been asked to investigate moving the whole thing to PhoneGap, for iPad, so I'm looking for pointers from people's experience.

I'm open to whatever technique makes the best use of Tapestry. Equally, if someone thinks Tap has no place in PhoneGap then I'm keen to hear that too.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

I went ahead and got my web app running in PhoneGap. For the record, here's what I found.,,

My app worked without change! The only piece I had to put into the PhoneGap project was a simple home page with a link to the existing web app. I put a "Sign In" link on the home page. It requests the SignIn page from the server. Up it came. Magic!

So PhoneGap really does act as a glorified browser. I didn't have to re-code my app to be a single web page, and I didn't have to re-architect it into JavaScript client-side making REST calls to the server. It worked without change.

However, that leads to the question that Magnus posed in this thread, of whether Apple will look kindly on an app whose behaviour can change after it has been approved...? I'll pick that up in a reply to his post.