Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Troxell <tt...@debian.org> on 2008/04/10 04:42:36 UTC

hdfs > 100T?

Hello list,

I was unable to access the archives for this list as
http://hadoop.apache.org/mail/core-user/ returns 403.

I am interested in using HDFS for storage, and for map/reduce only
tangentially.  I see clusters mentioned in the docs with many many nodes and
9TB of disk.

Is HDFS expected to scale to > 100TB?

Does it require massive parallelism to scale to many files?  For instance, do you
think it would slow down drastically in a 2 node 32T config?

The workload is file serving at about 100mbit, 20req/sec.

Any input is appreciated :)

--
Todd Troxell
http://rapidpacket.com/~xtat

Re: hdfs > 100T?

Posted by Todd Troxell <tt...@debian.org>.
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:47:59AM +0200, Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:42:36PM -0500, Todd Troxell wrote:
> > I was unable to access the archives for this list as
> > http://hadoop.apache.org/mail/core-user/ returns 403.
> >
> You're probably looking for
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-core-user/

Thank you.

By the way, this is the page listing the broken link:
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/mailing_lists.html

--
Todd Troxell
http://rapidpacket.com/~xtat

Re: hdfs > 100T?

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:42:36PM -0500, Todd Troxell wrote:
> I was unable to access the archives for this list as
> http://hadoop.apache.org/mail/core-user/ returns 403.

You're probably looking for
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-core-user/

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk

Re: hdfs > 100T?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
I should mention that the mogile available generally is not suitable for
large installs.

We had to make significant changes to get it to work correctly.  We are
figuring out how to contribute these back, but may have to fork the project
to do it.

Re: hdfs > 100T?

Posted by Todd Troxell <tt...@debian.org>.

Re: RAID-0 vs. JBOD?

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Ted Dunning wrote:

> I haven't done a detailed comparison, but I have seen some effects:
>
> A) raid doesn't usually work really well on low-end machines compared to
> independent drives.  This would make me distrust raid.
>
> B) hadoop doesn't do very well, historically speaking with more than one
> partition if the partitions are not roughly equal in size.  Quite frankly,
> it doesn't even do all that well with datanodes that have radically
> different storage availability.
>
> C) with raid-0, if you lose either drive, you lose both.  With separate
> partitions, you can lose one drive and retain the other.
>
> These lead to opposite conclusions, so I don't know what to recommend.  If I
> had to choose, I think I would do without RAID.

D) Out of 5 disks, if one of them is slow (not that uncommon), then
whole RAID will run only as fast that disk.

On smaller cluster (<100 nodes), RAID is simpler over all since
probability of bad disks is less.

Raghu.

Re: RAID-0 vs. JBOD?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.