Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/02 13:59:09 UTC

Re: Dropping Presto SQL in 2.9.0 - status ?

Resurrecting this thread.

2.9 is almost released and it hasn't been merged yet

Extending the discussion to other connectors, it looks like there has been
no progress on PIP-62.
My concern is that a lot of Pulsar IO connectors dependencies we are
running are obsolete with several security reports

I see there are interesting comments in the issue (
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/10219) and Sijie exported the
pulsar-io dir to https://github.com/apache/pulsar-connectors but it's
outdated

From my point of view, we have to:
- reimport all the connectors source codes with newest ones (including
integration tests)
- add periodic CI jobs for connectors to run against master, 2.9-latest,
2.8-latest, 2.7-latest to verify breaking changes
- define a release cycle/management for connectors (we should improve the
PIP doc). IMO it's not clear if each connector will have its own release
versions and how we'll handle it (git tags, artifacts deployment..)
- update pulsar release script in order to get the connectors artifacts
(retrieving the .nar or building it from source?)
- update docs
- remove pulsar-io dir from Pulsar repo

It's the perfect timing to schedule this work for 2.10

What is missing? How's the situation? Is there a roadblock I haven't seen?
I think it's better to take another discussion for Presto since it will
come to another end

--
Nicolò Boschi

Re: Dropping Presto SQL in 2.9.0 - status ?

Posted by Neng Lu <nl...@apache.org>.
Just curious to learn is there any progress on moving all the connectors into separate repos?
Maybe I can help if the decision is finalized.

Posted by Lari Hotari <La...@hotari.net>.
Thanks for the update Marvin,
Great work on the Trino PR! It's been a lot of work to get it to match the
Trino code conventions.
Is there a lot of work remaining?

-Lari

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Marvin,

Il giorno mer 17 nov 2021 alle ore 14:39 Zhengxin Cai <ca...@gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> Hi there,
> I think the pr is still open, https://github.com/trinodb/trino/pull/8020,
> will try to push it.
> But even after the pr is merged, I actually still think we might still want
> to keep a copy of the connector in Pulsar repo and push changes to Trino
> repo periodically, as this will allow much faster bug fix and feature
> iteration.

That's not the plan.
We want to get rid of Presto/Trino from the Pulsar repo.

if you want to keep it then we must upgrade to Trino.

Currently we have a very outdated version of Presto, that brings in a few
obsolete dependencies tagged with CVEs.

Please note that more recent versions of Presto/Trino require JDK11,
so a switch to Trino may be feasible for Pulsar 2.10 if we drop support for
JDK8

Enrico

Posted by Lari Hotari <La...@hotari.net>.
Hi Marvin,

Great work on the Trino PR! It's been a lot of work to get it to match the
Trino code conventions.

I hope we could drop Presto & Pulsar SQL from the apache/pulsar code
repository as planned in PIP-62[1], "PIP 62: Move connectors, adapters and
Pulsar Presto to separate repositories", which was created in April
2020. Let's work together to complete this effort.

Is there anything that others could help with to complete the Trino PR

Posted by Zhengxin Cai <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.