Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Remy <dr...@bea.com> on 2003/10/30 22:38:53 UTC

v2 saaj on xmlbeans

I am exploring doing a pluggable saaj implementation on top of the store and the DOM level II core work that Eric is doing.  Similar to our DOM goals I would like saaj over xmlbeans (sounds tasty) to be fast which probably means, with saaj 1.2, that the saaj objects that implement or extend DOM would actually *be* the DOM objects and not copies.  I have a strategy in mind that i have discussed with David and Eric that would allow much of the saaj implementation to be pluggable but the saaj public api would still need to be exposed because of the intimate nature that saaj would need to have with DOM.  For example the store would probably have to know that it was in a saaj context when loading and create saaj impl objects wehn it encountered QNames for SOAPEnvelope and the like (which would delegate back to a pluggable saaj implementation).

are there apache licensing hurdles to xmlbeans exposing the saaj api?  it appears that axis has implemented saaj, does that mean that apache already has the license for saaj?  or is the license only for the TCK itself?  i am pretty clueless about this aspect ... Cliff would you be able to look into this more?

I am still in the exploration and prototyping stage here, more to come on this as I know more.

rem