Posted to general@attic.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/07 22:13:18 UTC

old source URLs

Hi Attic!

I found that some pages have old URLs for their repositories, such as:
  http://attic.apache.org/projects/deltacloud.html

git-wip-us.a.o no longer exists. It should be github or gitbox instead.

Dunno what other projects may have a similar issue, but would request they
get updated.

Cheers,
-g

ps. not on-list, please cc: if needed

Re: old source URLs

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 23:57, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 5:29 PM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 22:13, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Attic!
>> >
>> > I found that some pages have old URLs for their repositories, such as:
>> >   http://attic.apache.org/projects/deltacloud.html
>> >
>> > git-wip-us.a.o no longer exists. It should be github or gitbox instead.
>>
>> git-wip-us.apache.org does exist as a DNS name.
>>
>> I thought the intention was that the old URLs would be redirected?
>>
>> Redirection certainly works for some URLs, e.g.
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=jmeter.git
>>
>> So why does it not work for deltacloud?
>

> I have no idea why it does not work for deltacloud. git-wip is a CNAME to gitbox, which "should" provide redirects or service to the repositories. Investigation is clearly needed, and maybe some fixes within our services. [bcc:]
>
> At a minimum, "git-wip-us.a.o" is no longer a canonical URL, and (IMO) should be changed.

I'm not sure I agree, especially in the case of an Attic site.
Seems to me the site should reflect the last known state as far as possible.
Transition to Attic should be a once-off for each PMC, otherwise it's
not really scalable.
The number of sites is generally increasing whilst the number of Attic
devs is not.

Even in the case of active sites, there is a difference between a
project making a change, and having a change imposed externally.
As far as possible, I would expect such URL changes to be
transparently supported.

Re: old source URLs

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: old source URLs