Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bill Sofko <wi...@contrariwise.com> on 2001/02/04 23:03:54 UTC

Re: db connection pool

Andre Wittenburg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i just looked at the GenericDataSource and thought it would be a nice
> feature to shrink the pool size when the connections are not needed
> anymore. If you all agree, imho there should be two more values in the
> dtd for the data-source and GenericDataSource.
> <allow-shrinking>true/false</allow-shrinking>
> <shrink-period-min>100</shrink-period-min>
>
> What you think?
>
> Andre

This is a feature that I'd very much like to see added to the Struts
connection pool. I'm in the process of porting an application to Struts
that requires this feature (currently works on a pool that I wrote
myself that does shrink), so I was going to add this feature to my copy
of Struts as I got closer to production anyway. If the group is amenable
to the addition of this feature to the main source tree, I'd be happy to
change the GenericDataSource source and give my patches back to the
project as opposed to creating subclasses for my project only.

- Will

P.S.: I'm not subscribed to the developers list, so I don't know if
someone is already working on this. It'd be worth checking, especially
as I won't get to this for a while.

--
Will Sofko
Developer, vilaj.com