Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/13 09:47:43 UTC

Bug: Checkout modifies the "Modify Time" of the file

Hi
I am trying to get the information of subversion files. When I do "svn
export filename" it retains the last modified time and displays it
correctly. But when I check out the file the "Modify Time" displayed is
erroneous.

Exported file details
==============
stat hi.mk
           Name: "hi.mk"
           Type: Regular File
           Size: 0
         Blocks: 0
           Mode: -rw-rw-r--     (100664)
          Owner: indreshv       (23426)
          Group: indreshv       (23426)
         Device: 288, 1664 (0x04800680)
          Inode: 2541484
          Links: 1
      Blocksize: 8192
    Access Time: Mon Oct 13 15:00:56 2008
    Modify Time: Fri Oct 10 14:26:23 2008
  Status Change: Mon Oct 13 15:00:56 2008

Checked out file details
=================
 stat etc/hi.mk
           Name: "etc/hi.mk"
           Type: Regular File
           Size: 0
         Blocks: 0
           Mode: -rw-rw-r--     (100664)
          Owner: indreshv       (23426)
          Group: indreshv       (23426)
         Device: 288, 1664 (0x04800680)
          Inode: 2541502
          Links: 1
      Blocksize: 8192
    Access Time: Mon Oct 13 15:05:57 2008
    Modify Time: Mon Oct 13 15:05:57 2008
  Status Change: Mon Oct 13 15:05:57 2008

--
I Vinay
Phone:+919000212127

Re: Bug: Checkout modifies the "Modify Time" of the file

Posted by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dave. I am doing some check based on the last modified time. I guess
now I will use checksum value of the files for verification.

cheers
Vinay

Posted by Dave Lawrence <dl...@ad-holdings.co.uk>.

Posted by Dave Lawrence <dl...@ad-holdings.co.uk>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 13, 2008, at 05:48, vinay i wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Dave Lawrence wrote:
>
>> vinay i wrote:
>>
>> > I am trying to get the information of subversion files. When I
>> do "svn
>> > export filename" it retains the last modified time and displays it
>> > correctly. But when I check out the file the "Modify Time"
>> displayed is
>> > erroneous.
>>
>> Not a bug, a feature.
>> See
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/
>> svn.advanced.confarea.html#svn.advanced.confarea.opts
>>
>> search for "use-commit-times" in that page.
>
> Oops. Sorry. Thanks for the information. I have one more query.
> Does every user has to set this value in his home directory?

If every user wants that behavior, then yes.

> How do I make "use-commit-times" yes by default for all the users.

You have to set the option in every client's config file. There's no
mechanism for broadcasting settings from the server.

Re: Bug: Checkout modifies the "Modify Time" of the file

Posted by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com>.
Oops. Sorry. Thanks for the information. I have one more query. Does every
user has to set this value in his home directory? How do I make
"use-commit-times" yes by default for all the users.

-Vinay

Posted by Dave Lawrence <dl...@ad-holdings.co.uk>.

Posted by Dave Lawrence <dl...@ad-holdings.co.uk>.