Posted to jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/06 23:44:58 UTC

VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Hi, I'd like to make the following proposals:

- We have two major feature enhancements in the HEAD:
   Mixed content and inheritance via xs:extension. IMO,
   that's enough for a new feature release, aka 0.5.

   I'd suggest the following release plan: Publish 0.5beta
   now. Wait four weeks. If several issues arise, publish
   0.5rc1, wait another two weeks, and so on, until no
   major issues can be found.

   I'll do the job, if noone else volunteers.

- Once 0.5 is out, it seems to be a good point to go to
   subversion. infra@apache wants us to do that and I admit
   that I understand their reasons, in particular the ability
   to get rid of shell accounts on cvs.apache.org.

- I have learned a good deal about maven in the last weeks
   (did a good part of the german translation of O'Reillys
   "Maven Developer Notebook"). My impression is, that Maven
   will fit *very* well for JaxMe.

   However, using Maven will clearly imply, that we have to
   split the single project with its five source directories
   into a project and several subprojects.

   Robert and Nacho have both expressed their intention to
   "mavenize" the project or at least write a Maven plugin.
   How about?

Jochen

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 06:50 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Venkat Reddy wrote:
>
> > Thats good news. Just wondering - After this release, how far are we
> > from complete support for JAXB 1.0? I know the release notes will have
> > this info, but just being curious :-)
>
> Miles - JAXB is one of the most complex and large specifications. For
> example, apart from JSP, it is far more complex and large than the
> servlet specification.
>
> Things that are clearly missing:
>
> - Bindings via an external file (the jaxb:foo instructions aren't
>    read from the schema itself, but from an external file with
>    XPath-like instructions)
> - Support for xs:key and xs:unique
> - Support for xs:any and xs:anyType
> - Support for groups with muliplicity > 1.
>    (Ok, that's in the works and should be finished as soon as I find
>    about 20-30 hours within a short time frame.)
>
> And all of the above assumes that "we did it right". Something that will
> be in question as soon as we are able to put our hands on a TCK.

it will take a lot of energy. the time factor depends on the number of
developers willing to lend a hand.

my energy for jaxme's pretty low these days (and it's never been
particularly high): i've just got too many other projects requiring
attention. i'm happy to lend a hand where i can with matter i know about
(for example, mavenisation) but (realistically) that's about it. i will
try to squeeze some time in to finish that tutorial i've been writing
for ever.

if there are developers with energy out there who are willing to step up
and learn the code then JAXB compliance is a realistic goal. i'm sure
all the current committers are ready and willing to offer all the
assistance they can to anyone who steps up. any takers?

- robert

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.
Thats good news. Just wondering - After this release, how far are we
from complete support for JAXB 1.0? I know the release notes will have
this info, but just being curious :-)

thanks
- venkat

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to all points.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 10:23 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 7/14/05, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > i'd recommend going first to maven 1: it's well known, has better
> > documentation and we're unlikely to hit any early adopter. once jaxme is
> > mavenized then think about moving to maven 2.
>
> If Nacho volunteers to do it, I'd prefer to let him choose?

fine :)

i'm familiar with maven 1 but probably don't have the time to learn
maven 2 (which is a comprehensive rewrite and still in alpha). so, i'm
not sure i'd be able to help much if nacho decides to go with maven 2...

- robert

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 12:15 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 7/27/05, Nacho G. Mac Dowell <ig...@informa.es> wrote:
>
> > My opinion would be that jaxme sources would be the top level project
> > and api, js, xs and pm 4 subprojects. Something like:
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure. Doesn't the rule "one project, one artifact" apply?
> In other words,
> don't we need another project, which creates the whole distribution?
> If so, I'd suggest
> yet another subdirectory, may be "jm".

+1

> > Any thoughts? Should we move to svn before? Should there be a new maven
> > folder on cvs for this?
>
> As you have pointed out in the past, we'll be moving a real lot of sources. So
> waiting for SVN makes quite some sense. That said, I see no reason,
> why you shouldn't
> start working, for example in a branch. We can "merge" your work later on, when
> 0.5 is released. (Which should be the case in just another two weeks.)

+1

yep: we can move the sources in subversion then just port the build.

in terms of the unit tests which require generation, might be better to
use the existing ant tasks (rather than any new maven plugin). that way,
it's a like for like replacement.

(i still think that we should have a maven plugin, though.)

- robert

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by "Nacho G. Mac Dowell" <ig...@informa.es>.
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

>Hmm, I'm not sure. Doesn't the rule "one project, one artifact" apply?

If you prefer we could have the top level project without any sources
and 5 subprojects. It would probably be an easier and cleaner layout
anyway. I'm just used to have a main project with subprojects.

>yet another subdirectory, may be "jm".

I am not sure whether we are getting a bit too cryptic here for newbies.
I was just thinking that maybe we could stick with their original names
(not sure if i really like it though - just thinking out loud):

projects/jaxme
projects/jaxb-api
projects/jaxmeJS
projects/jaxmeXS
projects/jaxmePM

>start working, for example in a branch. We can "merge" your work later on, when
>0.5 is released. (Which should be the case in just another two weeks.)

I'll create the branch when I have something to upload.

nacho

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
What are the first steps on the moon, compared to your child's?

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 11:19 +0200, Nacho G. Mac Dowell wrote:

<snip>

> Any thoughts? Should we move to svn before? Should there be a new maven
> folder on cvs for this?

subversion is much better for copying material around than cvs. not only
does svn support cheap copies and supports copies as a natural part of
the api but it also preserves version history. so, i'd strongly
recommend moving to subversion first.

the subversion migrations seem to be running very smoothly now. i've
been using subversion for many months now. i don't see any real
difficulties in moving quickly to subversion (once the 0.5 release is
cut). IMHO this would be possible to move to subversion before the final
cut of release 0.5 without any substantial problems.

- robert

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by "Nacho G. Mac Dowell" <ig...@informa.es>.
I volunteer to mavenize jaxme and my first impression is that I agree
that it'd be better to go with maven1 first. From the maven web site,
moving to maven2 shouldn't be too difficult. I haven't used maven2 at
all though.

However, as suggested in
http://maven.apache.org/reference/conventions.html the project layout
should be changed. From what I've seen the directory structure would
also fit with maven2.

My opinion would be that jaxme sources would be the top level project
and api, js, xs and pm 4 subprojects. Something like:

/
+- src/
|  +- main/
|  |  +- java/
|  |  +- resources/
|  +- test/
|  |  +- java/
|  |  +- resources/
+- target/
+- xdoc/
+- project.xml
+- README.txt
+- LICENSE.txt
+- projects/

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

<snip>

Posted by "Nacho G. Mac Dowell" <ig...@informa.es>.
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

>   that's enough for a new feature release, aka 0.5.

+1

>   I'll do the job, if noone else volunteers.

At some point I'd like to be able to do this. Depending on the time
frame I might be able to help.

> - Once 0.5 is out, it seems to be a good point to go to
>   subversion.

+1

> - I have learned a good deal about maven in the last weeks
>   (did a good part of the german translation of O'Reillys
>   "Maven Developer Notebook").

Nice  ;-)

> My impression is, that Maven
>   will fit *very* well for JaxMe.

+1 Maven would be a good fit for JaxMe, I suppose Maven2? I started
mavenizing (maven1) a while ago and as Robert pointed out realized it
was not a good idea because of moving sources around and cvs. When
moving to subversion IMO it will be a very appropiate moment. I
definetly volunteer. Plus, Maven is the only way I can imagine the
eclipse plugin (anybody remembers? :-[ ...) to fit somehow. It makes
quite a while I have a JBoss-IDE-like version of the plugin and I can't
find the way to fit in. The main issue is dependency managing. Maven
would sort this out.

nacho

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 23:38 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

> > i'm going to be busy (apachecon europe)
>
> Sounds like all are there, except me, sitting some 5 or 10 km away. :-/

the hackathon's on monday and tuesday (i'll be there tuesday). be good
if you could make it (even for just a couple of hours in the evening).
AIUI you'd need to sign up (there's a document in the committers
repository) but it's free.

> > mavenization is a different issue to creating a maven plugin :)
>
> Yes, but in that particular case, they cannot be separated: JaxMe uses
> itself for the test suite, so mavenization depends on the plugin.

i think that there are other ways this could be done. i'm not sure which
would be better. still, it'd be good to have a plugin anyway and IIRC it
seemed very easy to do so we can think about the options for testing
once it's written...

- robert

Re: VOTE: Release 0.5 and other topics

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> i've found that it's not worth waiting more than a week or two between
> releases: usually, anyone who's going to try the candidate or beta will
> try it in the first week or forget. it's usually more effective to make
> candidates (seems to spread the word) more frequently (if a problem is
> found, fix it, wait a day for two to see if there are any more then cut
> another) rather than waiting more time.

Agreed. I suggest we stick with the four weeks this time and make them
two weeks for 0.6.

> i'm going to be busy (apachecon europe)

Sounds like all are there, except me, sitting some 5 or 10 km away. :-/

> i would suggest moving to subversion before mavenizing. i've grown to
> really like subversion: in particular, the approach to branching
> (branching==copying) and moving file (proper file moves) makes
> reorganising projects very easy.

Fine for me.