Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marian Krause <du...@inferno.mikrus.pw.edu.pl> on 2001/12/05 02:01:54 UTC

RAM buffers of files

Hi. I have Apache 1.3.22.
Sicie I upgraded my Hardware to 512 Megs of RAM, i hava a problem.
Apache buffer files from HDD so strong, and when i'm updatng my web side
files, he didn't check, if there's any new files, and serving old ones,
which sometimes doesn't exist on HDD anymore.
I don't know what to do. I don't want restart my server any time, when
someone ugrade one of 50 VIrtual's, which i'm serving.

Please, answerm me here and private.

Dugi

Re: RAM buffers of files

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Marian Krause wrote:

> Well, i'm sure.
> I opened page by Lynx on the computer, where serwer is working.
> After Apache restart page is correct.

OK so no intermediate proxy - but doesn't Lynx have a cache (I don't
know...)? Try the command line -it's the only way to be sure.

I don't know anything about you or your system so I've got to check the
obvious first... If you have VERIFIED (i.e. you're not just "sure"...)
That apache is really serving files which look stale, check some more:

- Verify that you are running only one instance of apache (ps -ef | grep
httpd and check all daemons are of the same binary).
- Verify that your docroot is correct (you are not serving files from
one directory and editing them in another). To test this, try
misspelling a filename slightly in the browser. You will get a 404 so
look then in the error_log and see what file apache tried to find: was
it looking in the directory you expected?

Apache, when running as a normal server, doesn't cache anything. The
cache only operates when it is a proxy server. Are you running it as a
proxy? See the mod_proxy docs for more details but if you want to switch
off caching do:

NoCache *

Rgds,

owen Boyle.

Re: RAM buffers of files

Posted by Marian Krause <du...@inferno.mikrus.pw.edu.pl>.
> Marian Krause wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I have Apache 1.3.22.
> > Sicie I upgraded my Hardware to 512 Megs of RAM, i hava a problem.
> > Apache buffer files from HDD so strong, and when i'm updatng my web side
> > files, he didn't check, if there's any new files, and serving old ones,
> > which sometimes doesn't exist on HDD anymore.
> > I don't know what to do. I don't want restart my server any time, when
> > someone ugrade one of 50 VIrtual's, which i'm serving.
>
> Are you really sure this is apache doing this? It is more likely to be a
> persistent caching in the browser or the proxy (if you use one).
>
> To verify that it is apache at fault, GET the file from the command
> line:
>
> $ telnet your-server 80
>
> GET /file-want-to-check HTTP/1.0
>
> (two returns)
>
> Rgds,
>
> Owen Boyle.
Well, i'm sure.
I opened page by Lynx on the computer, where serwer is working.
After Apache restart page is correct.

Marian Krause

Re: RAM buffers of files

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.