Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Atlantis69 <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/24 11:25:10 UTC

Temporarily indexing data on lucene

I have a list of public profiles of my site user's on solr index. There is
also a community around them, which is currently not their in Index.

While searching, I have to give an option to search only my community
(friends and friends of friends). I could do it from data base query or
storing connection graph in memory but here I loose power of Solr Analyzers,
tokenizers and filters.

Alternatively, I am thinking to store this relation temporarily in some
other Solr instance (running on a separate machine) and use it for search.
I.e create this index async when user logs in and destroy when user logs
out.

So when user searches for a profile the application will merge the results
from two indexes and returns unique users.

Is this a practical/scalable solution? If yes, what performance
consideration, I should look for this new solr instance? For merging should
I built an application over solr or solr provides any way of merging results
from multiple indexes?

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Temporarily indexing data on lucene

Posted by Atlantis69 <am...@gmail.com>.
Any ideas or updates?

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Indexing tempary data on lucene

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
building a temporary index would certainly work, but it's a question of
how efficient it would be (ie: how many users do you have, how often do
they log in, how long does it take to build a typical index, how many
concurrent users will you have, etc...)

one solution i've seen to a problem like this was to have a custom
SearchComponent that did an external lookup to get the list of freinds,
then for each friend did a search to get the DocSet of all their documents
(letting them get cached in the filterCache) and computed the union of all
those DocSets, and added that union as a filter for use by the
QueryComponent.

not sure if that type of approach will scale well to the number of users
you are dealing with.

: Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 02:22:37 -0700 (PDT)
: Subject: Indexing tempary data on lucene
:
:
: I have a list of public profiles of my site user's on solr index. There is
: also a community around them, which is currently not their in Index.
:
: While searching, I have to give an option to search only my community
: (friends and friends of friends). I could do it from data base query or
: storing connection graph in memory but here I loose power of Solr Analyzers,
: tokenizers and filters.
:
: Alternatively, I am thinking to store this relation temp in some other Solr
: instance (running on a separate machine) and use it for search. I.e create
: this index async when user logs in and destroy when user logs out.
:
: So when user searches for a profile the application will merge the results
: from two indexes and returns unique users.
:
: Is this a practical/scalable solution? If yes, what performance
: consideration, I should look for this new solr instance? For merging should
: I built an application over solr or solr provides any way of merging results
: from multiple indexes?
:
: Thanks,
: Amit
:
: --
: Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
:

-Hoss