Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2009/11/23 18:53:08 UTC

[c++]: messaging api status

I have been working on cleaning up the messaging api. At present it
supports all the basics but there is still likely to be some minor
changes and more testing is required.

A lot of functionality is exposed through the address abstraction.
Addresses can be expressed as strings, the syntax for which is described
in qpid/messaging/Address.h along with the currently supported options.
The same syntax and options are supported in the python and c++ clients.
The map-message content for these two clients is also interoperable.

There are two useful examples for exploring address and inter-client
interoperability: drain and spout[1]. These are more or less the same in
each client but at present the address is specified as a named option
for c++ and as a positional argument in python. I have checked in a
small readme that demonstrates some useful patterns with those examples
(including use of the xml exchange).

There is still a lot of documentation, testing and tweaking to do and I
will be continuing with that. However I am going to be away for the next
couple of weeks and as I may well miss the publication of 0.6 - in which
I would like the new api to be included as a preview for wider comment -
I wanted to give a brief status update.

--Gordon.

[1] Unfortunately these aren't yet built on windows due to linking
errors, QPID-2212. If anyone with cmake expertise is able to have a look
at that before I do, it will be much appreciated.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org