Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/26 18:37:02 UTC

[DISCUSS] removing the 'proton/contrib/proton-hawtdispatch' module

As per the subject, I'd like to suggest removing
'proton/contrib/proton-hawtdispatch' module.

hawtdispatch itself doesn't appear to be seeing any development these
days, with only a handful of commits in the last couple years on
master, none in approaching a year, and the referenced website
appearing to be down. The proton-hawtdispatch module hasn't seen a
meaningful (non-version) commit in a couple years, and is itself using
an old release of hawtdispatch. The statistics repository.apache.org
gives for maven central usage suggest little use, with perhaps average
of 40 downloads a month from 10 IPs.

As the related project appears inactive, nobody is really maintaining
it, and few appear to be using it, I think it should be removed.

Thoughts?

Robbie

Re: [DISCUSS] removing the 'proton/contrib/proton-hawtdispatch' module

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

This has now been done via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-1189

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Those are the only two things in there right now, so yes removing both
would currently have that effect.

I'd judge anything new for contribution on its own merits, but in many
cases I'd think such things would be more appropriate in their own repo
going forward, with only the most core related things going in the main
repo.

Robbie

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, this seems like code that would be better off living in the
hawtdispatch project if someone really wanted to pick up that torch.

On 04/26/2016 12:37 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> As per the subject, I'd like to suggest removing
> 'proton/contrib/proton-hawtdispatch' module.
>
> hawtdispatch itself doesn't appear to be seeing any development these
> days, with only a handful of commits in the last couple years on
> master, none in approaching a year, and the referenced website
> appearing to be down. The proton-hawtdispatch module hasn't seen a
> meaningful (non-version) commit in a couple years, and is itself using
> an old release of hawtdispatch. The statistics repository.apache.org
> gives for maven central usage suggest little use, with perhaps average
> of 40 downloads a month from 10 IPs.
>
> As the related project appears inactive, nobody is really maintaining
> it, and few appear to be using it, I think it should be removed.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Robbie

Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121