Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ivan Ivankovic <iv...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/21 15:34:20 UTC

Mixing parallel and serial execution

Hi,

I am trying to implement the following test scenario in JMeter:

(100*TC01+200*TC02+200*TC03) , 100*TC01

Where TC01, TC02, TC03 are test cases, "+" sign means parallel execution and
"," means serial execution.

My first shot was to make 3 ThreadGroups to implement TC01, TC02, TC03 so
they can work in parallel, but I have a problem how to start another 100
threads to execute TC01 after all previous thread group are finished.

There is a way to execute Thread Group in serial manner but I need mixed
behaviour.

Is this possible with JMeter? Maybe I am taking wrong approach by
representing Test cases as Thread Groups?

--
Pozdrav,
Ivanko

Re: Mixing parallel and serial execution

Posted by Adrian Speteanu <as...@gmail.com>.
The solution with multiple test plans is definitely the simplest.
You can run it also from GUI mode, but you need to machines (you can
use the schedule option from the thread gui element to start testing
simultaneously on both machines).

Another question about parallel execution:
How to make the jmeter script run a parallel execution of two threads
for the same user using the same session?

More details:
- consider having TC01 and TC02 (test cases)
- I need to run TC01 and TC02 in parallel for each user (example:
user1 session is set with a TC01 request and after that I want 1
thread in TC02 thread group to get that same session and use it from
now on for its requests, but at the same time to continue testing in
TC01_user1_thread).
I can easily extract a session id and use it in the same thread, what
I don't know is how to "give it" to another (specific) thread (and at
the same time make sure that each TC02 thread gets one unique id from
TC01).

How would you approach this?
I need this because the application makes "status" requests to the
server in loop in parallel with what the user is doing in the
application (therefore I need a minimum of two threads for each user
if I want to make this a little bit more realistic).

Posted by Ivan Ivankovic <iv...@gmail.com>.
Thank you!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.