Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "John H. Embretsen" <Jo...@Sun.COM> on 2008/04/27 11:49:26 UTC

10.4 docs on the web page

The web page for documentation -
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html - currently includes links
to doc versions
- alpha (trunk)
- 10.3
- 10.2
- 10.1
- 10.0

Would it be possible to upload 10.4 docs and add them to this list? This
will make it easier for us to refer users to docs for 10.4-specific
features.

John

Re: 10.4 docs on the web page

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:
>

>> A very good point. Thanks for pointing this out, John.
>>
>> I'm guessing that in order to do this I need to upload and unpack the
>> 10.4 docs under /www/db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4
>>
>> and then add a section for 10.4 to
>>
>> <website-trunk>/src/documentation/content/xdocs/manuals/index.xml
>>
>> Unless some of this can be done automagically, somehow...
>>

> I did some checking and AFAICT this step is neither mentioned on
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease
>
> nor on
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/docscheck.html
>
> It seems like a natural item on the checklist for creating a new
> release...

I can't find this step on the release checklist either. Sounds like a
good addition.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: 10.4 docs on the web page

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.

--
dt

Re: 10.4 docs on the web page

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 7:27 AM,  <Dy...@sun.com> wrote:

>  So is there a script or program to transfrom a *-bin.zip into a 10.x
>  directory suitable for the website? I could do it manually, but it seems
>  easier just to let the links on the doc page reflect the directory
>  structure found the zip file?

Yes, I put one together for 10.3:

#! /bin/bash
mkdir ~/10.3
cd ~/10.3
unzip $1
mv db*bin/docs .
mv db*bin/javadoc ./publishedapi
rm -r db*bin

for i in adminguide devguide getstart ref tools tuning
do
  mv docs/pdf/$i/*.pdf docs/html/$i
  rmdir docs/pdf/$i
done

mv docs/html/* .
rmdir docs/html
rmdir docs/pdf/pt_BR
rmdir docs/pdf
rmdir docs

Pass in the location of the -bin.zip. Move the 10.4 directory that
gets created in your home dir over to /www/db.apache.org/derby/docs

I know I mentioned this on the list around the time of the 10.3
release, it looks like I didn't get around to adding this step or the
script to the release page. Sorry about that.

andrew

Re: 10.4 docs on the web page

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:

> "John H. Embretsen" <Jo...@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> The web page for documentation -
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html - currently includes links
>> to doc versions
>> - alpha (trunk)
>> - 10.3
>> - 10.2
>> - 10.1
>> - 10.0
>>

>> Would it be possible to upload 10.4 docs and add them to this list?
>> This will make it easier for us to refer users to docs for
>> 10.4-specific features.
>
> A very good point. Thanks for pointing this out, John.
>
> I'm guessing that in order to do this I need to upload and unpack the
> 10.4 docs under /www/db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4

This is not quite as straight-forward as I had anticipated. It seems
that the directory structure under /www/db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3 is
rather different from what you find inside the
db-derby-10.4.1.3-bin.zip. In the former the html and the pdf appears to
be merged into the same dir, and db-derby-10.4.1.3-bin/javadoc dir
appears to be
/www/db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.x/publishedapi