Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Vijaya Narayana Reddy Bhoomi Reddy <vi...@whishworks.com> on 2015/09/18 12:37:06 UTC

Component placement strategy - Ambari

Hi,

--
The contents of this e-mail are confidential and for the exclusive use of
the intended recipient. If you receive this e-mail in error please delete

Re: Component placement strategy - Ambari

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
I may not have fully understood this question.

Ambari does not maintain a mapping between FQDN and IP address. It relies on the mapping to be available via external means (say /etc/hosts).

Ambari will use the FQDN as host id/name while producing config values. Say HDFS or HBASE needs ZK quorum. Ambari will set the quorum using the hostnames (e.g. FQDN by default) it obtained from the agents running on the host.

Thats true that we would provide FQDNs in Ambari. However, if the underlying machines' IP addresses change due to DHCP, how would FQDNs resolve to the new IPs? Or is it always recommended to have static IPs mapped to FQDNs and mentioned in the /etc/hosts on each machine in the cluster?

Regards
Vijay

Ambari uses FQDN and also uses FQDN for configuration values as well.

Posted by Vijaya Narayana Reddy Bhoomi Reddy <vi...@whishworks.com>.

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vijaya Narayana Reddy Bhoomi Reddy <vi...@whishworks.com>.

Posted by Vijaya Narayana Reddy Bhoomi Reddy <vi...@whishworks.com>.