Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/04/04 03:02:56 UTC

Re: Vetoes for New Committers??

Trust me niclas, you would be singing a very different tune if you believed something like that were happening in a project you were working on and you were a member of the minority powerless to put a halt to it.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
I tried to stay away from this thread. Oh, well...

Ted, congrats!

On 04/04/2017 08:18 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Niclas,
>
> I never presented an argument in favor of *using* a veto.  I presented an
> argument in favor of *having* a veto to potentially use.
That was well understood.

> The possibility of a veto encourages consensus building before the decision
> is recorded.
This is also understood, but it sounds to me that you are making Niclas'
point.

> I personally think that vetoes should almost never happen because any
> veto-worthy issue is brought out and resolved in discussion ahead of time.
Because of that, votes that may take place never do, because people
indicate via back channels what their vote will be (tactic I see even at
board level from time to time) and then the vote never takes place and
discussion and the status quo, well, continue. Nothing to report, all good.

Vetoes remove one of the few leverages the minority has, that's my
understanding of what Niclas meant.

That said, the majority has so many other ways to abuse of the minority,
that in my experience the only sane way is to just give up. Which most
do actually, sadly.

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1 Ted.  While I have never personally felt the need to issue a veto regarding a personnel promotion,  I have seen others use it, and have on balance agreed with those decisions, including for the exact situation I mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Niclas,

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Running to the board every time there is a lack of consensus about a candidate is not appropriate governance at Apache.  The fact that PMC members are afforded certain RIGHTS, including the right to stop the train on a personnel promotion, is an important aspect of maintaining proper checks and balances within the project itself.
Not to belabor the whole question about the role of diversity in this org, the fact is that once a PMC reaches a size significantly greater than the original crop of developers, conflict happens.  Sometimes it means a single person is not sufficiently aligned with the rest of the team in terms of core values and principles about personnel promotions, and sometimes the group is mired in groupthink and the sole voice of reason can effectively block bad decisions from happening to the project.  Either way, diversity happens, and it's not always universally positive for the collective wellbeing of the group.  At least not in the short run.
But most of the time, it's resolvable to the satisfaction of everyone in the project.  I've never seen a veto issued as a permanent objection to a candidate, 99% of the time the vetoer is simply saying "not yet, IMO".And that "not yet" opinion can stand according to the bylaws of the larger projects all of whom have found constructive ways of restoring the group to consensus decisions about personnel over the full spectrum of time.
On Tuesday, April 4, 2017, 3:59:05 PM EDT, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:That's reassuring, but how does that relate to defaulting to vetoes for
personnel?

Your statement about Board intervening could be said for Joe's/Ted's claim
about "letting the minority be heard" as well... and doesn't support or
undermine the use of vetoes for personnel.

Cheers

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
That borders on FUD.

Op di 4 apr. 2017 om 05:03 schreef Joseph Schaefer
<jo...@yahoo.com.invalid>

> Trust me niclas, you would be singing a very different tune if you
> believed something like that were happening in a project you were working
> on and you were a member of the minority powerless to put a halt to it.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:16 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> >
> > Well, isn't that a weak argument, since said company already have
> majority
> > and with vetoes can also block to loose such majority. If this happens, I
> > would assume that someone in the PMC would bring it to Board's attention
> > look into the matter, as the only course of action against a malevolent
> > company taking control of a project, no matter which voting system you
> > apply.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Niclas
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Joseph Schaefer <
> > joe_schaefer@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> The downside to majority rule when it comes to personnel voting is that
> it
> >> can lead to a situation where a company having a majority on the pmc can
> >> increase their majority by voting in additional employees without the
> >> minority having any way to provide a check on that exercise of power.
> Yes
> >> this has come up in the past.
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

> https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#new-committer-process