Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Preston <gr...@intervoice.com> on 2003/04/03 21:28:58 UTC

Same but Different ( I hope )?

Hopefully I'm not beating the group down with this question.  I've seen several posts that discuss "Wizard" functionality which makes use of the same form-bean across multiple pages.  I think I understand how that works and can  make it work in my application provided I'm starting w/o existing data.

If I bring existing data into my "Wizard" I get page 1 data, but not subsequent pages.

The run down:
I call "fetch.do" ( FetchAssetAction)
-         go to the database and retrieve asset info and place in AssetForm
-         put AssetForm in the Session
-         forward to first page of "Wizard"
* data for first page is there

All pages of  the "Wizard" post to "edit.do" (EditAssetAction)
      -  EditAssetAction determines next ActionForward

        <action path="/edit"
           type="org.eyecontact.asset.action.EditAssetAction"
           name="AssetForm"
           scope="session">
        </action>

        <action path="/fetch"
           type="org.eyecontact.asset.action.FetchAssetAction"
           name="AssetForm"
           scope="session">
        </action>

When I post from the first "Wizard" page the AssetForm gets reinitialized with the data contained on the first "Wizard" page.  I lose the data stored in the form for subsequent "Wizard" pages.

I think I'm missing a fundamental design element that I hope someone can help me with.

Thanks in advance.

Greg