Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/12/05 08:53:20 UTC

Mailing List Activity

Hi all,

I just realized how much activity we currently have on our list, with regard to our baseline (and the last months).
Its really nice to have so many new people here, especially Alvaro and Sebastian (Wiendl) have to be pointed out.
So lets to keep everybody as motivated as possible and help all newcomers with the start and their stack to keep them with the project : )

Julian

PS.: Would the “newcomers” be interested in a meetup? We could plan one for the start of next year, if wanted?

Antwort: Mailing List Activity

Posted by Sebastian Wiendl <SW...@bhs-corrugated.de>.
Hey everyone,

I'm quite happy a project like PLC4X exists - for me it is a true enabler
in the IIoT world. The community has been incredibly welcoming and helpful
so far. I hope PLC4X attracts even more intereset in the future!

Also, the S7 Java driver already feels quite mature, despite being 0.5.0 -
both regarding the API as well as the implementation.

Thanks to everyone involved and have a nice weekend! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Kind regards

Sebastian Wiendl
DSE / Digital Solutions Software Engineer
Phone: +49 9605 919 - 9341
E-Mail: SWiendl@bhs-world.com
Internet: www.bhs-world.com
Shop: www.icorr.shop

BHS Corrugated Maschinen- und Anlagenbau GmbH
Paul-Engel-Straße 1
92729 WEIHERHAMMER
GERMANY

Management: Christian Engel, Lars Engel
Registered at Amtsgericht Weiden, HR B 1320

Re: Mailing List Activity

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi Alvaro,

very nice to hear.
If you want to work on scala bindings, its on the roadmap and we will do our best to support you with it.
I guess it would be mostly work on the API level to make it really Scala-esque.

Regarding FOSDEM I do not yet have fixed plans but I like your suggestion so I could imagine going there for one day with a joint talk.
@Christofer Dutz are you going?

Julian

Am 05.12.19, 10:17 schrieb "Álvaro Del Castillo" <ad...@ThingsO2.com>:

    Dear all,

    On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 08:53 +0000, Julian Feinauer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just realized how much activity we currently have on our list, with
    > regard to our baseline (and the last months).
    > Its really nice to have so many new people here, especially Alvaro
    > and Sebastian (Wiendl) have to be pointed out.
    > So lets to keep everybody as motivated as possible and help all
    > newcomers with the start and their stack to keep them with the
    > project : )

    My feelings from my first steps in the project are that you are a
    receptive, open and honest community willing to grow with new members.
    And I am very happy with that and I have recommended in my company to
    join the project because I think that we can work together fruitfully.

    So during the next weeks I will bring some real effort to the project
    with PRs about our findings in modbus and opc-ua drivers. Not only to
    fix bugs but also to help in the implementation of pendings issues like
    sending several modbus operations in the same request or supporting
    unsigned and float in modbus. Also, I would like to track the
    refactoring of the modbus plugin.

    Our preferred programming language is Scala so we are also interested
    in having bindings for it. At some moment in PLC4x there were plans for
    it. Not sure now.

    > Julian
    >
    > PS.: Would the “newcomers” be interested in a meetup? We could plan
    > one for the start of next year, if wanted?

    It could be really nice to have it. I will go to FOSDEM and I would
    like to present in the IoT workshop our work in the Edge and how we are
    using PLC4x. Are you guys going to FOSDEM? Maybe we can collaborate in
    a common talk about PLC4x project.

    Thank you!!

    Cheers

    -- Alvaro

Re: Mailing List Activity

Posted by Álvaro Del Castillo <ad...@ThingsO2.com>.
On Thu, 2019-12-05 at 17:32 +0000, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
>
> I had a look and I have to say I think the progress was even so
> limited, that it never left the branch he worked on.
> https://github.com/apache/plc4x/tree/54115fc561c9ff4b3600b0fe15c49949dac51828/plc4s
>
> There was a branch, but I deleted that one or two years ago.

Ok, in the case we decide to add the Scala bindings we can start from
the scratch. The most important thing is to define what APIs to wrap
and to do it in a mantainable way so it is easy to update it as the
project advance. In the past I have develop in GNOME with different
bindings and it was a mess to maintain all updated.

Thanks Chris

-- Alvaro

Re: Mailing List Activity

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alvaro,

Re: Mailing List Activity

Posted by Álvaro Del Castillo <ad...@ThingsO2.com>.
Hi Christofer,

Re: Mailing List Activity

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alvaro,

great to hear that you are quite happy with the community aspect of our little group :)

Also really happy to hear you want to help get the Modbus part in shape. I think that's pretty needed ... unfortunately we didn't have the resources and time to setup a larger Modbus testcase so your input will be extremely welcome.

I think if you go back to the time where the PLC4X repo moved to Apache, you will find some Scala bindings. These were initiated by someone at codecentric, who did a one-shot contribution and then lost interest.

Re: Mailing List Activity

Posted by Álvaro Del Castillo <ad...@ThingsO2.com>.
Dear all,