Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Arash Bizhan zadeh <ar...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/22 18:30:06 UTC

Environment management - I am not sure what to call it really!

Hello,

We have lots of projects in our environment which most of them are small
stand alone projects with not much dependency to each other. Every project
has its own maven build system ( or going to have, we are in process of
migrating the build system).  I am seeking a way to ensure that all of the
application are using one specific version of external artifact. For example
if three projects are depend on struts, I would love to have a
tool/mechanism to force all of them version 1.3.8; and in case we wanted to
upgrade our struts dependency, we can do it one place instead of changing
all the dependencies.
Any suggestion? Can Archiva give us  this kind of control?

regards,
Arash

--
You can not depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

Re: Environment management - I am not sure what to call it really!

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Arash Bizhan zadeh <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I put dependencies there, wouldn't all projects download them even though
>  they may not really need them? Can Archiva help us in this situation?

Wayne said <dependencyManagement>, not <dependencies>.  The former is
more like a suggestion to the child project-- if the child project
declares a dependency and leaves out the version, it will get the
version from the parent's <dependencyManagement> section.

A child project can still override this, so you can't force the
version number from the parent.

Yes, Archiva can help.  You can control the contents so that
developers don't have access to things that are not approved.

(You'll need to use mirrors, and especially mirrorOf * in settings.xml
to prevent access to external repositories.)

--
Wendy

Re: Environment management - I am not sure what to call it really!

Posted by Arash Bizhan zadeh <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.