Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mihamina RAKOTOMANDIMBY <mi...@rktmb.org> on 2016/07/07 12:29:27 UTC

[users@httpd] What happens when there is a child process?

Hi all,

I setup an Apache 2.4 instance with PHP module, running Drupal.
Running Linux (CentOS 6), prefork mode.

I set the MaxRequestsPerChild to a very low value (ie 4)

This leads to often have <defunct> httpd processes (displayed by iftop).

My question is about the impact of the existence of those defunct
processes.
As far as I read about them, they are dead processes that their parent
is not aware of death.

Is it possible that the unaware parent process assigns an incoming
request to a died child process ? What is the supposed behaviour
of Apache in this case?
- Will it reassign the request if assignement fails?
- Will there just be an error?

Thank you.

PS: Should I ask on the dev ML?