Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Arnauld Dravet <sm...@artefact21.net> on 2001/12/11 02:54:05 UTC

help :(

hello *

I installed tomcat on my linux server yesterday, and i have a few problems
I think i've read all availables docs i have found, but it didn't really help me :(

My server is now using apache 1.3.22 + Tomcat 4.0.1 and i have updated my httpd.conf as explained in the webapp INSTALL file.
I don't want to have to store my servlets in the tomcat /webapps directory, i want to be able to store them as i store other files inside my public_html directory in my home dir.

my home dir is /home/smurfie
my webpage dir is /home/smurfie/public_html/_epsi
the url used to access this webpage is http://epsi.bz

i use in my httpd.conf:
<VirtualHost epsi.bz>
    ServerAdmin prologique@yahoo.fr
    DocumentRoot /home/smurfie/public_html/_epsi
    ServerAlias *.epsi.bz
    ServerName epsi.bz
    ErrorLog /home/smurfie/public_html/_epsi/apache_error_log
    TransferLog /home/smurfie/public_html/_epsi/apache_access_log
    WebAppConnection    conn    warp    localhost:8008
    WebAppDeploy        /home/smurfie/public_html/_epsi/servlets        conn    /servlets/
    #WebAppInfo /webapp-info
</VirtualHost>

if i uncomment the /webAppInfo line, i can use http://epsi.bz/webapp-info so i assume tomcat is working fine.
the problem is whan i want to sue servlets in /home/smurfie/public_html/_epsi/servlets  :
in /home/smurfie/public_html/_epsi/servlets  i've put a WEB-INF directory and inside the WEB-INF i got a basic web.xml file, and also a classes dir in wich i've put a basic servlet found on the SUN servlet tutorial. I called the .class SimpleServlet.class  and so i compiled it in SimpleServlet.java, inside the same dir

smurfie@mushroom:~/public_html/_epsi/servlets/WEB-INF$ more web.xml

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>SimpleServlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>SimpleServlet</servlet-class>
    </servlet>

</web-app>

PROBLEM:
http://epsi.bz ---> work
http://epsi.bz/servlets  --> 404 not found

my apache log says:
[Mon Dec 10 00:59:49 2001] [error] Web-application not yet deployed

could anyone help me please ?

thanks
Arnauld Dravet

Re: help :(

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
smurfie@mushroom:~/public_html/_epsi/servlets/WEB-INF$ more web.xml

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>SimpleServlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>SimpleServlet</servlet-class>
    </servlet>

</web-app>

PROBLEM:
http://epsi.bz ---> work
http://epsi.bz/servlets  --> 404 not found

Of course it is not found. In your web.xml you didn't specify URL-to-Servlet mapping.

<servlet-mapping>
  <url-pattern>/servlets/testMe</url-pattern>
  <servlet-name>SimpleServlet</servlet-name>
</servlet-mapping>

Nix.