Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/10/06 20:21:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache log4net 1.2.11 based on RC1

It's been a long time since the last log4net release and we've
accumulated quite a few changes.  It is about time to cut a new release.

[scp dumped core on me repeatedly while I tried to copy the files to
     people.apache.org that's why I've temporarily put the ZIPs on my
     server.]

log4net 1.2.11 RC1 is available for review here:
  http://stefan.samaflost.de/log4net/

Details of changes since 1.2.10 are in the release notes:
  http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/log4net/site/release/release-notes.html

I have tested this with Mono and several .NET frameworks using NAnt.

The tag is here:
  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4net/tags/1.2.11RC1
  (revision 1179495)

Site:
  http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/log4net/site/

RAT Report:
  http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/log4net/site/rat-report.html

Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours, 1900 GMT 9-Oct 2011

[ ] +1 Release these artifacts
[ ] +0 OK, but...
[ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
[ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thanks!

        Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache log4net 1.2.11 based on RC1

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours, 1900 GMT 9-Oct 2011
>
> [X] +1 Release these artifacts
> [ ] +0 OK, but...
> [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
> [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

I checked everything I said, but did not manage to get the .NET beast
running fully. I will try to set up a unit testing environment for the
next release (no promises :-)). Anyway, I trust you on coding level,
so please go ahead and release this package.

Cheers!
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache log4net 1.2.11 based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-10-11, Curt Arnold wrote:

> Observations:

> comparing the source zip with the SVN tag, the following items are not in the source zip:

> doap_log4net.rdf (DOAP file placed here for convenience)

Excluded deliberately.  IMHO it shouldn't be in trunk at all but rather
a directory level above.

> src/site/fml (empty directory)
> src/site/resources/js (empty directory)

It seems NAnt's zip task skips them.

> tests/lib/prerequisites.txt (note on prerequisites for running tests, likely dated now).

Actually it is dated in a way but still relevant (you need to copy
nunit.framework.dll to the appropriate directory).  I don't recall
explicitly excluding it, I'll need to see why this happens.

> Many if not all of the source files do not use CRLF line feeds as
> would be expected for a predominantly Windows oriented library. Looks
> like the .zip was built on a Unixy box.

It was built on a Windows box but I suspect the Cygwin svn client I used
considers LF-only the native format.  Will investigate using a different
Windows client for future releases.

> I'll +1 the log4net-src.zip, but would not object if anyone wants to pull it and try again.

> I'm moving on to check the binaries.

Thank you.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-10-12, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 4:02 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> On 2011-10-11, Curt Arnold wrote:

>>> both bin/2.0/release/log4net.dll and bin/3.5/release/log4net.dll
>>> describe themselves as Apache log4net for the .NET Framework
>>> 2.0. Everybody else has the expected application description.

>> Those two DLLs are the same file as there currently is no difference
>> between the 2.0 and 3.5 builds.  Maybe I shouldn't have created the 3.5
>> version at all.

> I believe they were not binary identical, but that could have been
> timestamps or other insignificant differences.

They have been compiled separately so yes, there will be differences in
timestamps.

>>> doc/index.html refers to log4j and not Apache log4j.

>> It uses Apache log4net three times before using the shorter version, I
>> think that's OK.

> It does describe log4net as Apache log4net appropriately but it does
> not describe log4j as Apache log4j.

I somehow missed you were talking about log4*j* - will fix that in trunk
and update the site later today.

>>> doc/index.html refers to the .NET runtime. The Microsoft .NET
>>> trademark guidelines are at
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Trademarks/Usage/Net.aspx. At
>>> least we should have a Microsoft(r) .NET at the first menion.

>> Will fix that - for the site as well.  This likely affects other pages
>> as well.

> I think the guidelines might have become looser recently. I think at
> one time you would have to describe it as for the Common Language
> Runtime and could not refer to the Microsoft(r) .NET Framework.

The site I've just deployed should be OK - not visible, yet.

> Frequent releases what a concept.

8-)

No promises, though.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Oct 11, 2011, at 4:02 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2011-10-11, Curt Arnold wrote:
>
>> both bin/2.0/release/log4net.dll and bin/3.5/release/log4net.dll
>> describe themselves as Apache log4net for the .NET Framework
>> 2.0. Everybody else has the expected application description.
>
> Those two DLLs are the same file as there currently is no difference
> between the 2.0 and 3.5 builds.  Maybe I shouldn't have created the 3.5
> version at all.

I believe they were not binary identical, but that could have been timestamps or other insignificant differences.

>> log4net-sdk-net-4.0.chm uses a page header reading "log4net SDK
>> Documentation ..." that would be better as "Apache log4net SDK
>> Documentation".
>
> Will fix that once I figure out how to do it with NDoc.
>
>> doc/index.html refers to log4j and not Apache log4j.
>
> It uses Apache log4net three times before using the shorter version, I
> think that's OK.

It does describe log4net as Apache log4net appropriately but it does not describe log4j as Apache log4j.

>> doc/index.html refers to the .NET runtime. The Microsoft .NET
>> trademark guidelines are at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Trademarks/Usage/Net.aspx. At
>> least we should have a Microsoft(r) .NET at the first menion.
>
> Will fix that - for the site as well.  This likely affects other pages
> as well.

I think the guidelines might have become looser recently. I think at one time you would have to describe it as for the Common Language Runtime and could not refer to the Microsoft(r) .NET Framework.

>> newzip.zip:
>
>> log4net-sdk-net-4.0.chm always displayed Navigation to the webpage was
>> cancelled for any content. Seems totally broken.
>
> You probably need to "unblock" the .chm.  I wonder why you didn't have
> to do that for the oldkey archive.

Funny things happen late at night.

>> I'm thinking it would be better to scuttle RC1 and try again, but I
>> won't force the issue.
>
> 1.2.11 is through.  I expect us to follow this up with 1.2.12 pretty
> soon as there still are enough issues to address and I'm sure new issues
> with Client Profile and .NET 4.0 builds will arise now that they become
> available.

Frequent releases what a concept. Thanks for all the work to get 1.2.11 out the door.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache log4net 1.2.11 based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
More observations:

oldkey.zip

LICENSE and NOTICE are present, but with Unix style linefeeds.

both bin/2.0/release/log4net.dll and bin/3.5/release/log4net.dll describe themselves as Apache log4net for the .NET Framework 2.0. Everybody else has the expected application description.

log4net-sdk-net-4.0.chm uses a page header reading "log4net SDK Documentation ..." that would be better as "Apache log4net SDK Documentation".

Most text files use Unix style line feeds.

doc/index.html refers to log4j and not Apache log4j.

doc/index.html refers to the .NET runtime. The Microsoft .NET trademark guidelines are at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/Trademarks/Usage/Net.aspx. At least we should have a Microsoft(r) .NET at the first menion.

newzip.zip:

log4net-sdk-net-4.0.chm always displayed Navigation to the webpage was cancelled for any content. Seems totally broken.

Other issues mentioned with oldkey.zip.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
Observations:

GPG keys check out

comparing the source zip with the SVN tag, the following items are not in the source zip:

doap_log4net.rdf (DOAP file placed here for convenience)
src/site/fml (empty directory)
src/site/resources/js (empty directory)
tests/lib/prerequisites.txt (note on prerequisites for running tests, likely dated now).

None of the files would seem to interfere with building the library from the source distribution.

Many if not all of the source files do not use CRLF line feeds as would be expected for a predominantly Windows oriented library. Looks like the .zip was built on a Unixy box.

LICENSE and NOTICE appear fine other than displaying funny unless the application understands Unix line feeds.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-10-10, Ivan Habunek wrote:

> +1 (binding)

> I'm not a .net user so I didn't check the actual code performance.
> I'll believe you when you say it's much better. :)

Thanks, Ivan.  Only time will tell about "better", at least it will
allow log4net to be used in more modern scenarios.

I'll keep this vote open another twenty hours or so to give Curt a
chance to chime in and post a result after that.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ivan Habunek <ih...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I'm not a .net user so I didn't check the actual code performance.
I'll believe you when you say it's much better. :)

That said, keys and signatures check out fine. The site looks ok. All
artifacts seem to be in the right place.

Sorry for late response. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Ivan

[RESULT] Release Apache log4net 1.2.11 based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

the vote has passed with five +1s by PMC members (Scott, Ivan,
Christian, Ron, myself) and two further +1s by community members
(Javier, Dominik) and I'll proceed with the process.

The release artifacts are already in the dist area and are waiting for
the mirrors to pick them up.  Once I see them on mirrors I'll publish
the new website and once that is updated I'll announce the release.

Many thanks to everybody who took the time to review the release

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-10-10, Curt Arnold wrote:

> Has anyone compared how the new log4net.dll performs with the previous
> release's test suite?

I just did.  You have to tweak log4net 1.2.10's build file in the tests
directory to make it work with .NET 2.0 and explicitly run it with nant
-t:net-2.0 as 1.2.10 doesn't support any newer .NET framework.

I get two test failures from the 1.2.10 source bundle, both are known
issues with the tests on more modern versions of Windows (LOG4NET-310
and LOG4NET-265) and the tests have been fixed with 1.2.11.

Replacing 1.2.10's log4net.ddls I get one test failure less as one of
the two failures has been taken care of in code as well (LOG4NET-310).

In summary, all tests that passed in 1.2.10 still do with 1.2.11 and one
that fails on Windows Server 2003, Vista or newer now passes.  The only
remaining test failure is due to a problem with the test itself (a
timing issue).

Stefan

[1] Add

    <target name="runtests-net-2.0" description="Runs log4net tests on .NET Framework 2.0 version" depends="compile-net-2.0">
        <nunit2>
            <formatter type="Plain" />
            <test assemblyname="${current.bin.dir}/log4net.Tests.dll" />
        </nunit2>
    </target>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache log4net 1.2.11 based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
Totally packed weekend. Will try to free up some time tomorrow.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-10-10, Scott Deboy wrote:

> +1

> I've wandered through the website and checked the rat report, I don't have
> time to pull down the sources and try to build myself.

Thank you for checking

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1

I've wandered through the website and checked the rat report, I don't have
time to pull down the sources and try to build myself.

Great work Stefa.

Scott

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

PMC-Votes NEEDED [VOTE] Release Apache log4net 1.2.11 based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

maybe it is because the voting period included a full weekend.

So far we have one PMC vote (mine) and Christian's intent to vote
positive (but he formally didn't).  In addition we have two +1s from
community members who are not PMC members.

In order to proceed with the release we need three PMC votes.

I'll keep this vote open a bit longer before I call it failed.

Stefan

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.
+1