Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/31 01:01:26 UTC

Working Copy in Inconsistent State

You know, for an atomic SCM, subversion sure as hell seems to leave my
working directories screwed up a little too often:

svn: Invalid change ordering: new node revision ID without delete.

Well - I sure as hell typed the commands in the right order, it's not too
hard: svn mv a b.

How many other people have had to check out a new working copy and copy
changes over and commit because their working copy was broken _again_
without any explanation provided and a cryptic error message that doesn't
really explain what the problem actualy is?

Is there any hope that Subversion will improve on the current state of
affairs or should we all be looking to shell out for a commercial scm that
works more often?

Alex.

Re: Working Copy in Inconsistent State

Posted by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com>.
Oh - server fs is FSFS I believe

ALex

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com>.
Well - I first did:

> [...]

things that have happened to the repo and to the working copy so that if a
problem arrises you can just mail the log to the developers and they can
figure out what happened.  Would it be usefull if svn had something similar?

If you can provide a sequence of commands that gets your repository
> and working copy into that state (i.e. something that starts from an
> empty repository and makes it happen) I'll be happy to look into
> fixing the problem.  Unfortunately, you haven't actually provided much
> information in your email other than "I get this weird error when I do
> something", so it's rather difficult for me to determine what the
> problem is based on it.

I do appreciate that SCM is a very very difficult problem to solve well, and
svn does a pretty good job overall, which I do appreciate.  It sure is a

Thanks,

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 7/30/06, Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alas thats a bit tricky to do on a RedHat system and still keep things sane.
>  At least ES 5 is due out next month.

There are third party RPMs that have been built for older versions of
RedHat, FWIW.

-garrett

Re: Working Copy in Inconsistent State

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

It's actually pretty straightforward: Subversion is pretty good about backwards compatibility, and there are some good RPM's available on David Summers website, at http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/. The RHEL3 backages only support an FSFS backend, and I think that's wise.

Re: Working Copy in Inconsistent State

Posted by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> What? Subversion makes no use of resource forks. Subversion on Mac
>>> OS  X should behave quite similarly to Subversion on *BSD or
>>> Linux, from everything I've seen.
>>
>> I thought there were some reports here of difficulties when "svm
>> move"ing files?
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of this thread?
>
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-05/0907.shtml

Bingo. That's exactly what I meant, although you went into it in lovely
detail.

Re: Working Copy in Inconsistent State

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 31, 2006, at 03:30, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> On Jul 31, 2006, at 03:20, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> In particluar, are you using MacOS? There are some serious
>>> weirdnesses with resource forks that can be very tough to deal with.
>>
>> What? Subversion makes no use of resource forks. Subversion on Mac
>> OS  X should behave quite similarly to Subversion on *BSD or
>> Linux, from everything I've seen.
>
> I thought there were some reports here of difficulties when "svm
> move"ing files?

Perhaps you're thinking of this thread?

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-05/0907.shtml

The problem was/is that for single-fork filesystems like UFS (or if
you have a working copy on a Samba share for example) then the
resource forks are represented as files whose names are "._" plus the
file's real name. But as of Mac OS X 10.4 Apple "helpfully"
automatically moves these files when you tell the OS to move the real
file. If both files are under Subversion's control, then you run into
errors when Subversion tries to move the "._" file but has already
moved the real file and the "._" file isn't where Subversion thinks
it is anymore. On the one hand it's Apple's fault for being too
helpful, and on the other hand it could be resolved by Subversion
doing file operations in alphabetical (instead of essentially random)
order.

In any case, Subversion doesn't know about the resource fork and like
most CLI programs it will deal with files as data-fork only. When
used on Mac OS X's default multifork filesystem, HFS+, things
therefore work pretty well, for files that don't need resource forks.
If you check in a file, only its data fork gets checked in. When you
check out or update somewhere else, only the data fork will arrive.
And this is fine for most modern file formats where the resource fork
is optional (like my text editor which just uses the resource fork to
store editor settings like text font and size, window size and
position, and so forth -- which could be considered optional/
nonessential information so it's no problem this data is lost on
checkin.

Re: Working Copy in Inconsistent State

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.