Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by fz...@omnytex.com on 2005/06/14 18:17:59 UTC

1.3 ETA

Hi all... thought I'd go right to the source... is there an ETA for 1.3 being released?  I mean, I know it's available now, but I'm talking about an actual, official release of some sort (beta, GA, whatever).  Thanks!

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by Frank Zammetti <fz...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough :)  Let me ask this question then... what is your own
personal sense on when we'll see it?  In a completely unofficial way
;)

On 6/15/05, Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. The ETA is "when it's done", as it always is for open source
> projects. ;-) See:
>
> http://struts.apache.org/faqs/helping.html#release
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

> On 6/14/05, fzlists@omnytex.com <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> > Hi all... thought I'd go right to the source... is there an ETA for 1.3
> being released?  I mean, I know it's available now, but I'm talking about an
> actual, official release of some sort (beta, GA, whatever).  Thanks!

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Nope... I already made that offer some time ago, and it was rejected.
That's why the project is off on it's own now...

I admit I do have a vested interest in 1.3 because the taglibs are being
separated, as I understand it, and I want AjaxTags to support it... I
suspect it will make my life a lot easier.  Same goes for StrutsWS.  And
there are some other ideas I have floating around that I'd like to
persue once 1.3 is out, hence the reason for my inquiry in the first place.

While I would love to see my work folded in, that wasn't the thinking
behind the original question :)

Frank

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> See, the thing is, Frank, that the committers have the exact same
> problem. I am not in the heads of any other committers except my own
> (I hope, anyway), and I don't know what they're doing or thinking any
> more than you do. As James says, it's all on the list. So me giving
> you an answer to your question would be meaningful only if I were
> giving you a timeframe based on me doing all of the work myself. And
> it's not at all clear that I'm likely to actually do all the work
> myself.

That's a reasonable answer in the context of a community development
environment like this.

> It's not a question of not stating things publicly, it's just that we
> honestly don't know. You tell me: When does Joe get back from
> vacation? When he's back, will be immediately jump in and clean up the
> things he wants to clean up? Will Niall then jump on that and start
> the release process for 1.3.0? You have no idea. Neither do I. Is that
> so hard to believe?

It's not hard to believe, and I never said it was.  I certainly didn't
imply that anything wasn't stated publicly.

I regret asking what I still view as a legitimate question, and I will
bow out.  It was never, nor is it now, my intent to insult anyone or
accuse anyone of anything, directly or otherwise.

Frank

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/05, Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did not mean to speak for anyone except myself.  Where I come from
> these ways of talking to one another are unacceptable.  I certainly do
> not and don't want to speak for you, Frank, or anyone else.  Clearly
> Martin and James are used to talking to people this way.  I find it
> offensive.

Coming from someone who can't seem to decide which of (at least) three
email personalities accurately represents his feelings, this has to
rank among the top ten most ironic posts ever to the Struts user list
in the last five years :-).

Thank you DJ for responding to an existing thread ... if it had been
one you originated it would have gone to my noise folder and i would
have missed it.

Craig

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
I did not mean to speak for anyone except myself.  Where I come from
these ways of talking to one another are unacceptable.  I certainly do
not and don't want to speak for you, Frank, or anyone else.  Clearly
Martin and James are used to talking to people this way.  I find it
offensive.

On 6/15/05, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> I actually didn't think any reply, from me or anyone else, was mean.  I
> viewed it all as pretty civilized and reasonable overall.
>
> Frank
>
> Dakota Jack wrote:
> > I don't know about anyone else's household or how they want to live.
> > I do know that this thread is very rude where I come from.  I have to
> > admit that I am guilty of jumping too easily into these things but I
> > am just used to people being more kind to one another where I live.
> > Would it hurt?  What good is there in these sorts of mean exchanges?

~Dakota Jack~

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: 1.3 ETA

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@edgetechservices.net>.

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Fair enough :)

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Wow, I thought this thread was dead a week or so ago :)

I'm not actually itchy about 1.3 coming out... just interested.
Actually, even a bit less interested than when I initially started this
thread because of some decisions I've made in the mean time.

I haven't been keeping track frankly... are there tickets in Bugzilla
for things that have to be done?  I was under the impression that
various committers had some ideas still being tossed around that they
wanted to implement as opposed to there just being a lot of little
issues that anyone could address... I could see where someone like me or
Wendy or anyone else could help with the later, but I'm not so sure
about the former.

Like those that originally answered my query though, I don't see myself
having a lot of time to put in to it anyway, where I so inclined.  I
think we're all in roughly the same boat in that regard :)

Frank

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by netsql <ne...@roomity.com>.

Re: 1.3 ETA

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/05, fzlists@omnytex.com <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> Hi all... thought I'd go right to the source... is there an ETA for 1.3 being released?
> I mean, I know it's available now, but I'm talking about an actual, official release of some
> sort (beta, GA, whatever).  Thanks!

As for myself, I'm not working in Java right now, and so I won't be
able to contribute directly to a release of Struts 1.3.0.

>From the velocity of the posts and commits, I don't see that any of
the other committers have much time to spare. I imagine that there
will be a Struts 1.3.0 release sometime this year, just because
eventually someone will get annoyed enough to do it, but I'd expect
that it would be later than sooner.

I don't think it would take much. If someone were able to take a few
days off from their regular job to tie up the loose ends, I imagine we
could ship something on any given Sunday. But, right now, everyone is
working on Struts only on the off-hours, and not as part of their
regular jobs. So, Struts only gets what crumbs are left after work and
family. For most of us now, that's very little indeed.

-Ted.