Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Muhammad Rezaul Karim <re...@yahoo.com> on 2016/11/16 00:04:56 UTC

Having issues with Hive RuntimeException in runing Zeppelin notebook applicaiton

Hi,I am a new user of Apache Zeppelin and I am running a simple notebook app on Zeppelin (version 0.6.2-bin-all) using Scala based on Spark.

My source code is as follows:
val bankText = sc.textFile("/home/rezkar/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/bin/bank-full.csv")case class Bank(age:String, job:String, marital:String, education:String, balance:String)
val bank = bankText.map(s=>s.split(";")).map(
s=>Bank(s(0),
s(1).replaceAll("\"", ""),
s(2).replaceAll("\"", ""),
s(3).replaceAll("\"", ""),
s(5)
)
)
bank.collect()val mydf=bank.toDF()
mydf.registerTempTable("mydf");
Upto bank.collect() it works pretty well. However, I'm getting the following error on Ubuntu 14.04 when trying to execute the last two lines of my code:
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:522)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.HiveClientImpl.<init>(HiveClientImpl.scala:171)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SQLImplicits.rddToDatasetHolder(SQLImplicits.scala:163)
... 46 elided
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1523)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.<init>(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:86)
... 70 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: javax.jdo.JDOFatalDataStoreException: Unable to open a test connection to the given database. JDBC url = jdbc:derby:;databaseName=metastore_db;create=true, username = APP. Terminating connection pool (set lazyInit to true if you expect to start your database after your app). Original Exception: ------
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1521)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database 'metastore_db' with class loader org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.IsolatedClientLoader$$anon$1@48f2b61e, see the next exception for details.
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
 ... 136 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Database at /home/asif/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/metastore_db has an incompatible format with the current version of the software. The database was created by or upgraded by version 10.11.
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
 at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
 ... 133 more
Caused by: ERROR XSLAN: Database at /home/asif/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/metastore_db has an incompatible format with the current version of the software. The database was created by or upgraded by version 10.11.
 at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
------
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1521)
... 76 more
Caused by: javax.jdo.JDOFatalDataStoreException: Unable to open a test connection to the given database. JDBC url = jdbc:derby:;databaseName=metastore_db;create=true, username = APP. Terminating connection pool (set lazyInit to true if you expect to start your database after your app). Original Exception: ------

Caused by: org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedSQLException: Failed to start database 'metastore_db' with class loader org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.IsolatedClientLoader$$anon$1@48f2b61e, see the next exception for details.
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
... 136 more
Caused by: org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedSQLException: Database at /home/asif/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/metastore_db has an incompatible format with the current version of the software. The database was created by or upgraded by version 10.11.
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
... 133 more
Caused by: org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException: Database at /home/asif/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/metastore_db has an incompatible format with the current version of the software. The database was created by or upgraded by version 10.11.

  Thanks and Regards,
---------------------------------
Md. Rezaul Karim
PhD Researcher, Insight Centre for Data Analytics
National University of Ireland Galway

Re: Having issues with Hive RuntimeException in runing Zeppelin notebook applicaiton

Posted by Muhammad Rezaul Karim <re...@yahoo.com>.
 Hi,
I can run the same code in SPARK_HOME/bin/spark-shell. However, it does not allow me to execute the SQL command.

    On Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:01 PM, moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org> wrote:

 Are you able to run the same code in SPARK_HOME/bin/spark-shell?
Thanks,moon
On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM Muhammad Rezaul Karim <re...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,
Thanks a lot. Yes, I have removed the metastore_db directory too.

    On Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:38 PM, moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org> wrote:

 Although "export PATH=$PATH..."  is not really necessary in zeppelin-env.sh, i think your configuration looks okay.
Have you tried remove /home/asif/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/metastore_db ?
Thanks,moon
On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 6:48 PM Muhammad Rezaul Karim <re...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Moon,
I have set those variables as follows (a partial view of the zeppelin-env.sh file). Is this okay?

#!/bin/bash
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

export SPARK_HOME=/home/asif/spark-2.0.0-bin-hadoop2.7
export PATH=$PATH:$SPARK_HOME/bin

# Options read in YARN client mode
export HADOOP_CONF_DIR=/home/asif/Downloads/hadoop-2.7.3/etc
export PATH=$PATH:$HADOOP_CONF_DIR/hadoop

    On Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:45 AM, Md. Rezaul Karim <re...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Hi Moon, No,  I did not set those two environmental variables. I'm still how to do that. I have installed Spark on my machine and have set the SPARK_HOME. However, do I also need to install and configure the Hadoop. But the error is all about the Hive. Am I some how wrong? A sample zeppelin-env.sh file would be very helpful.
On Nov 16, 2016 10:47 PM, moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi,
It's strange, Do you have SPARK_HOME or HADOOP_CONF_DIR defined in conf/zeppelin-env.sh?
You can stop Zeppelin, delete /home/asif/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/metastore_db, start Zeppelin and try again.
Thanks,moon

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jianfeng (Jeff) Zhang" <jz...@hortonworks.com>.
>>> at /home/asif/zeppelin-0.6.2-bin-all/metastore_db has an incompatible format with the current version of the software. The database was created by or upgraded by version 10.11.

Try to delete this folder and rerun it again.

Best Regard,
Jeff Zhang

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
Hi,