Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com> on 2012/02/20 16:49:32 UTC

WS-Policy Article: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects

Hi,

Just collected  experience regarding WS-policy in CXF in following article:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects

Notes, remarks, corrections are welcome.

Regards,
Andrei.

Re: WS-Policy Article: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday, February 20, 2012 3:49:32 PM Andrei Shakirin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just collected  experience regarding WS-policy in CXF in following article:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+proje
> cts
>
> Notes, remarks, corrections are welcome.

I'd love to see much of the information from that doc stuck into the real
documentation at:

http://cxf.apache.org/docs/ws-policy.html

--
Daniel Kulp

RE: WS-Policy Article: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects

Posted by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com>.
Yep.
As I already wrote, page is synchronized as I like :)
Starting to update the policy documentation now.

Regards,
Andrei.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

RE: WS-Policy Article: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects

Posted by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com>.
Hi Dan,

Page was synchronized today. It is done.

Andrei.

Posted by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:04:49 PM Andrei Shakirin wrote:
> Hi Glen,
>
> >Please edit it directly.  The URL which Confluence gives you to edit the
> >pages is different from the main website URL, but then it gets
> >automatically pushed >(perhaps every 6 or 12 hours) to the production
> >website.
> Unfortunately synchronization doesn't work properly for me:
> Despite of my updates of page:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/Transports , Page
> http://cxf.apache.org/docs/transports.html is still in old state. More than
> 24 hours gone. Did I something wrong?

Seems OK to me no.   I know infrastructure was doing a bunch of OS upgrades
yesterday (JIRA was down for a few hours due to that) so the sync process may
have gotten behind a bit.

Dan

> Regards,
> Andrei.

Daniel Kulp

RE: WS-Policy Article: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects

Posted by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com>.
Hi Glen,

>Please edit it directly.  The URL which Confluence gives you to edit the pages is different from the main website URL, but then it gets automatically pushed >(perhaps every 6 or 12 hours) to the production website.

Unfortunately synchronization doesn't work properly for me:
Despite of my updates of page: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF20DOC/Transports ,
Page http://cxf.apache.org/docs/transports.html is still in old state. More than 24 hours gone.
Did I something wrong?

Regards,
Andrei.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Andrei Shakirin wrote

> Could you give me some advises what is the right way to do it:
> a) not sure how to update CXF User's Guide and User's Guide Table of
> Content: should I provide a JIRA patch or is it editable via apache cwiki?

Please edit it directly.  The URL which Confluence gives you to edit the
pages is different from the main website URL, but then it gets automatically
pushed (perhaps every 6 or 12 hours) to the production website.

Andrei Shakirin wrote

> b) is it necessary to have kind of review before update it?

Nope, go ahead and make changes, anything wrong somebody else will fix or
we'll complain to you.  It's easy to revert with Confluence anyway.

Andrei Shakirin wrote

> Actually, I see it so:
> 1) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Custom+CXF+Transport
> can be added to http://cxf.apache.org/docs/transports.html (as additional
> topic in the list to HTTP Transport, JMS Transport, Local Transport)
> 2) information from
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects
> can be added / merged to http://cxf.apache.org/docs/ws-policy.html

Sounds good!

Andrei Shakirin wrote

> 3)
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Scalable+CXF+applications+using+JMS+transport
> is candidate to external blog, because it is not directly about CXF
> features, but more regarding Spring JMS configuration in CXF projects. I
> will move it from Apache wiki to external blog and link it into Resources
> and Articles afterwards.

Fantastic!

Regards,
Glen

RE: WS-Policy Article: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects

Posted by Andrei Shakirin <as...@talend.com>.
Hi Glen,

I have got it.
Sure, my intention was to add published information directly to CXF User's Guide or link it to User's Guide Table of Content.

Could you give me some advises what is the right way to do it:
a) not sure how to update CXF User's Guide and User's Guide Table of Content: should I provide a JIRA patch or is it editable via apache cwiki?
b) is it necessary to have kind of review before update it?

Actually, I see it so:
1) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Custom+CXF+Transport  can be added to http://cxf.apache.org/docs/transports.html (as additional topic in the list to HTTP Transport, JMS Transport, Local Transport)
2) information from https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects  can be added / merged to http://cxf.apache.org/docs/ws-policy.html
3) https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Scalable+CXF+applications+using+JMS+transport is candidate to external blog, because it is not directly about CXF features, but more regarding Spring JMS configuration in CXF projects. I will move it from Apache wiki to external blog and link it into Resources and Articles afterwards.

What is your opinion and the next steps?

Regards,
Andrei.

Andrei, the CXF Wiki is not a good place for "articles" -- that information you wish to impart to the community should either go to an external blog with a reference on our Resources page or incorporated within the CXF User's Guide, where everyone can update it and we don't have to maintain duplicate information in multiple places.  If you have anecdotal information not really fitting for a User's Guide, external blog entries are best.

If everyone placed his own articles separate from the User's Guide on the CXF wiki, I fear we'd eventually have dozens of obsolete and duplicative articles as one-time authors write something and forget about it afterwards as they move on to other things, and others become reluctant to update what is identified as somebody else's work.

I pulled out your links from the External Resources page (http://cxf.547215.n5.nabble.com/CONF-Apache-CXF-gt-Resources-and-Articles-td5499502.html).
Non-external CXF wiki pages should instead be linked to within the CXF User's Guide directly or listed in the User's Guide Table of Contents (as an intermediate step before directly incorporating the article into the guide.) Also, note nothing on the Wiki is owned by anybody but the whole team, and anyone can update any page.  The moment you claim or imply ownership/authorship of a page as you had on the Resource page--i.e., this page is my work, only I should be updating it, or if the article is written in the first person, etc.--off to an external blog it needs to go, with a link on the CXF resources page instead.

Thanks,
Glen

Re: WS-Policy Article: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Using+WS-Policy+in+CXF+projects