Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl> on 2010/07/09 10:23:07 UTC

Tomcat windows service

Hi,

I was trying to create izpack.org installer for Tomcat and my
application. There was only one problem - how to install Tomcat as a
Windows service.
Startup.bat and shutdown.bat were working, but I need service to be running.
Finally, after investigation, googling, etc, I have found a solution. At
least it works on several Windows boxes I have access to.
I had to copy msvcrt*.dll file from JRE distribution to Tomcat's bin
directory.

I do not have much Windows experience. Can anybody clarify this to me:
tomcat distro lacks such file because of mistake, MS does not allow
apache to distribute it, my windows system is old/unpatched?

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski<mi...@ceti.pl>

Re: Tomcat windows service

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/07/2010 09:34, Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 10:23 AM, Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:
>> I was trying to create izpack.org installer for Tomcat and my
>> application. There was only one problem - how to install Tomcat as a
>> Windows service.
>
> I tried various Tomcat versions, 6.0.18, 6.0.20, 6.0.26. I gave up with
> 6.0.20. Installing service works (with msvcrt.dll being present) with
> such configuration.

It is a Java packaging bug. There is a bugzilla entry for Tomcat and a
Jira entry for commons daemon that discuss workarounds.

Mark

Re: Tomcat windows service

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.

Re: Tomcat windows service

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 07/09/2010 10:23 AM, Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to create izpack.org installer for Tomcat and my
> application. There was only one problem - how to install Tomcat as a
> Windows service.
> Startup.bat and shutdown.bat were working, but I need service to be
> running.
> Finally, after investigation, googling, etc, I have found a solution. At
> least it works on several Windows boxes I have access to.
> I had to copy msvcrt*.dll file from JRE distribution to Tomcat's bin
> directory.

You can copy that to any directory that is in the system path.
Also you can add JRE's bin dir as part of install process to the system path
(preferred solution to copying msvcrt*.dll)
The only problem would be service install itself where you would have to
set the installer path to include JRE/bin before calling tomcatX.exe service installer.

> I do not have much Windows experience. Can anybody clarify this to me:
> tomcat distro lacks such file because of mistake, MS does not allow
> apache to distribute it, my windows system is old/unpatched?

This is Sun fault, and that msvcrt*.dll is jvm.dll dependency.
Unfortunately Sun refuses to install that redistribute at the
proper location but just keeps it as part of JVM/JRE installation

Regards
--
^TM