Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/11/27 19:57:04 UTC

naming the uima v3 artifacts / releases

UIMA v3 is now out as beta, and the next release should be 3.0.0 (no more
alpha/beta suffixes).

It will have an Eclipse Update Site.

Previously, the Eclipse Update Site subsite name for features/plugins for this
has been:

  uimaj - for the v2 things (part of the "composite" site)

  uimaj-v3-pre-production  (not in the "composite" site)

The intent here was to reduce "accidents" where people just installed the
"latest" uimaj plugins, only to find they didn't work with their v2 projects.

We also have split the svn source repo by having a high-level qualifier for V3
stuff.  This allowed having two "trunks" etc. under uimaj-v3 and uimaj,
uima-as and uima-as-v3, and maintaining these (using svn merge, etc.)

For releases, it would be less complex I think if we keep with the common
naming, and just depend on the version number (2 or 3).

I see other projects like TomCat doing similar things.

But there are two choices for the Eclipse Update Site.  One choice would go back
to having the traditional organization, with both 2.x and 3.x versions of the
features/plugins, and it would be up to the installer to install the proper
one.  An alternative: require a "v3" style composite update site, say
eclipse-update-site-v3: users would go to that or the other one, depending.
This might be less error-prone?

I'm on the fence with this choice; what do others think?

-Marshall

Re: naming the uima v3 artifacts / releases

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The v3 tooling in eclipse is definitely **not** compatible with v2.  The obvious
reasons are the ones you noted (jcas gen generates different things).  I suspect
it is not feasible to make a version of the plugins that work with v2 and v3
(without a large amount of work).

And, you're correct that the dependent eclipse plugins (Ruta) would be different
(at least their JCas classes would, and perhaps other things).

So a user would need to have separate Eclipse instances and install either the
v2 or the v3 plugins into them (but not both).

I guess I'm leaning toward having another composite top-level site
(eclipse-update-site-v3) for the v3 versions of plugins, to keep these separate.

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.