Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com> on 2011/07/08 18:37:39 UTC

RE: Anything left before 2.0.6?

Torsten Förtsch wrote on 2011-06-28:
> On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 00:26:56 Fred Moyer wrote:
>> I am planning to roll some release candidates next week.  I think
>> we've tested against 5.14, and there was the LWP 6.x issue that
>> doesn't seem to be a blocker.  Anything else?
>  Would be nice if I had the httpd 2.4 port ready. But I wouldn't see
> that as a blocker at all.
>
> A few weeks ago I called for testing with 5.14. There was no reply.
> Optimistically we can take this as "no problems encountered",
> pessimistically as "no one bothered to test". But perhaps a release
> candidate will get more attention (hopefully). Anyway, I think it's time.

I've belatedly got round to testing modperl/trunk with perl-5.14.1 (and httpd-2.2.17) on Windows XP (using VS2010).

It builds fine except for a minor wobble from Makefile.PL saying

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at lib/Apache2/Build.pm line 1725.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at lib/Apache2/Build.pm line 1725.
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Note (probably harmless): No library found for /src/modules/perl/.lib

for each of Apache2::Reload and Apache2::SizeLimit. I've not seen that happen before but it didn't stop it from building normally otherwise.

It also tests fine except for apache/subprocess tests 2-5, which I *have* seen many times before: that's been failing for quite a while now, so shouldn't hold up release of 2.0.6. (I really should look into why it's failing one day...)

So it's a +1 from me, FWIW.

RE: Anything left before 2.0.6?

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.
Steve Hay wrote on 2011-07-08:
> Torsten Förtsch wrote on 2011-06-28:
>> On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 00:26:56 Fred Moyer wrote:
>>> I am planning to roll some release candidates next week.  I think
>>> we've tested against 5.14, and there was the LWP 6.x issue that
>>> doesn't seem to be a blocker.  Anything else?
>>> Would be nice if I had the httpd 2.4 port ready. But I wouldn't see
>> that as a blocker at all.
>>
>> A few weeks ago I called for testing with 5.14. There was no reply.
>> Optimistically we can take this as "no problems encountered",
>> pessimistically as "no one bothered to test". But perhaps a release
>> candidate will get more attention (hopefully). Anyway, I think it's
>> time.
>>

> I've belatedly got round to testing modperl/trunk with perl-5.14.1 (and
> httpd-2.2.17) on Windows XP (using VS2010).
>
> It builds fine except for a minor wobble from Makefile.PL saying

> lib/Apache2/Build.pm line 1725.
> lib/Apache2/Build.pm line 1725.
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Note (probably harmless): No library found for /src/modules/perl/.lib
>
> for each of Apache2::Reload and Apache2::SizeLimit. I've not seen that
> happen before but it didn't stop it from building normally otherwise.

Seems like it happened with 2.0.5 as well, actually, when doing a fresh build of everything. It doesn't happen with 2.0.4, though, so it must be addition of Apache-Reload and Apache-SizeLimit into the mod_perl distribution as of 2.0.5 that caused it.

I think I didn't see this when testing 2.0.5 before because if I install into a perl tree which already has a previous mod_perl (+ Apache::Reload + Apache::SizeLimit?) in it then the problem doesn't occur, so I probably just tested 2.0.5 against a perl tree which already had 2.0.4 in it.