Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/28 20:17:52 UTC

[VFS] Support for File System Roots?

I was wondering if there were any plans (or currently any way) to support
File System Roots.  In addition to the standard sorts of roots, there are
roots like your home directory, the Documents, Photos, Music, Downloads,
etc.

At a minimum it would be useful to have an Enum of the different directory
names, with some way of resolving them.  Something like:

FileObject root = RootFactory.getRoot(RootNames.HOME);

and

Map<String, FileObject> rootMap = RootFactory.getRoots();

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VFS] Support for File System Roots?

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, that should have read *FileSystem.listRoots()*.

Cheers,

Mark

Posted by "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Ro...@actian.com>.
So, it seems like putting the method in the FileProvider interface is
the right place for it?!

~Roger

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.

Posted by "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Ro...@actian.com>.
I'm still interested in this.  I can see the idea of multiple roots
being useful in an SMB file system, or local (Windows) file systems.  Of
course, for others there would only be a single "root" (namely "/").
I'm writing a custom provider which could be pointing to either Linux or
Windows.  Would it make sense to have a "getRoots" method in
FileProvider?

	public FileName[] getRoots();

or possibly:

	public FileObject[] getRoots();

which by default just returns a single entry with a path of "/"...  Then
the default (local) file system provider would just return the results
of File.listRoots();

Then, Mark's idea of using an enum to get other user-relative
directories could also be (sort of) accommodated with a "getUserRoot()"
which returns the equivalent of "~" on *nix or OSX, and %USERPROFILE% on
Windows (Java "user.home") property.

The reason I think this is necessary is that, in order to do browsing of
all the files in a system, you need to be able to get to all the
relevant top-level locations.  And for Samba (for a non-obvious
example), there typically will be multiple shared folders on a system
that you might want to pick from.

I can probably provide a patch by next week.  Should I write up a JIRA?

~Roger Whitcomb

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I think the question should be considered with regard to how each OS
deals with this. IIRC Java has a get roots API. I am on my phone ATM
and cannot dig in.

Gary

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,